Lights in the coop that AREN"T for egg production?

Pics

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
Is this a thing that people do? Do the chickens like the coop as is (with natural light from windows, pop door, and vents, but still pretty dark) or would they be happier if they had a light in the coop to make it brighter during the day? I don't want to be forcing egg laying through winter, just wondering if chickens like a brighter coop better.

I have considered putting lights in the roosting/ laying area ( on a switch) in case there is a problem at night. ( Possums). I haven't done it yet. Mostly out of laziness since I have power there and I used to be an electrician. If you do though, don't cheap out. Broken bulbs, bad connections and small extension cords can quickly ignite.
Also, if you have to run a long distance you could have a voltage drop. Probably not a problem for a couple of lights but be extra careful with heaters and motors (fans).
Oh and use a GFCI outlet.
Don't let this stop you, I'm probably overthinking it. I need to get working on mine.
Don't hold back, we know you're thinking of running 220.

I have considered putting lights in the roosting/ laying area ( on a switch) in case there is a problem at night. ( Possums). I haven't done it yet. Mostly out of laziness since I have power there and I used to be an electrician. If you do though, don't cheap out. Broken bulbs, bad connections and small extension cords can quickly ignite.
Also, if you have to run a long distance you could have a voltage drop. Probably not a problem for a couple of lights but be extra careful with heaters and motors (fans).
Oh and use a GFCI outlet.
Don't let this stop you, I'm probably overthinking it. I need to get working on mine.

I only did the light inside when they first started to go outside as young pullets. Once they learned it I left it on for another 2-3 weeks.
FYI I just used LED Xmas lights the little tiny ones. The soft off white color. I didn't even unwind them, just left them bunched.
Timer set it for 1 hour before dusk and off 1/2 hr after it was actually dark.

Now I just use the timer to turn the fan on to exhaust the air out of the coop when it is hot during the day.

Back
Top Bottom