Lilac Turkeys?

farmerlor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 25, 2008
middle of nowhere Colorado
So I just got my first look at a lilac turkey and it was love at first sight. Naturally. There's probably like 12 in the whole world so I've GOT to fall in love with the rarest, most expensive bird in the world. Can anyone tell me anything about them? How were they bred? Anyone know anyone who has them? How much do they cost more or less? Temperment? Please, please, please tell me that they're very mean, nasty birds who can't live about sea level.

Try Porter Turkeys
smile.png

http://www.porterturkeys.com/lilac.htm

The Lavenders look similar if you have no luck with the Lilacs. They are listed on Eggbid. I don't know anything about the seller but they seem pretty expensive for the apparent lack of demand
tongue.png

http://www.eggbid.com/listings/index.cfm?category=960337805

The Lilac's are very striking turkeys. The down side is they don't breed true, the lavendars are also called "self Blue's" and they do breed true.

If you are talking about the person on eggbid that goes by "birdlady" that would be Pam Hogan, they have a website "featherbrained farm" or something close to that you can google it. She is a member on here but doesn't post that much.

farmerlor, If you are interested in the Lav's contact Pam, they are super nice people and have been raising them for years, they have some very nice birds.

Steve in NC

lilac is a color not a breed, blue slate is a breed, they breed true , well mine do!! tom!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Lilac is a variety as well as slate aka blue slate, and blue slates( BBDd) cannot breed true, not possible, you get three results slate ,self blue and black, you must have self blues aka lavenders( BBDD) if yours are breeding true.

Kevin
Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys

Quote:
Lilac is a variety as well as slate aka blue slate, and blue slates( BBDd) cannot breed true, not possible, you get three results slate ,self blue and black, you must have self blues aka lavenders( BBDD) if yours are breeding true.

Kevin
Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys

Hi Kevin, nice to see you on this forum
frow.gif
Now if you'd please answer my last question about the Golden Narri X Mottled Black offspring on your yahoo genetics group, I'd be happy
tongue.png

also as for lilacs breeding true, it depends on what line they are
wink.png
Porters are a bronze based bird with 2 copies of the slate gene (so they are self blue/lavender) so they will breed true. Sand hill has a version too, its got 1 copy of the red gene if memory serves, so it doesn't breed true.
Sib

Back
Top Bottom