Lime: Dangerous to use in coop?

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
Some, myself included, use garden lime as an odor eliminator in the coop. It is cheaper than anything else, among other things.

But I just read this on the bag of pulverized dolomitic limestone that I use in the coop:
contains a certain %age of 'crystalline silica', prolonged occupational exposure to, or breathing of which, can result in lung disease and/or cancer.

I am NOT using the burning masonry lime, just 'sweet' garden lime. But reading this makes me do a double take.

Maybe we shouldn't use this stuff for our birds to scratch in and breathe--even tho we sprinkle just a little for odor control.

Thoughts??

I use sweet Barn Lime in my run, I have very sandy ground and turn it into the sand for odors and then sprinkle some on the surface after I've tilled up what I want and have zero problems, have healthy happy chix.

i've been using lime for years for cattle, goats, and horses and never had any problems with airborne particulate. i've even used it in the stall of a horse with heaves (not while she was in the barn, you understand) with no problems. i say go ahead and use it. the small possibility of airborne silica is outweighed by the very real decrease in ammonia and insect infestation.

I use it in the run and in all of my goat housing. I just make sure that no one is around when I shake it out. Once it's settled on the ground, it doesn't do a whole lot of moving.

I just use the food grade DE inside and out side. My outside run is sand and they are so healthy and happy
smile.png

I do have a question about making my life easier on the clean up. I have been using two over sized kitty litter scoops to clean the hen house. I only have six hens who are now 18 weeks of age. My back can't take it anymore bending over with these scoops. Is there any easier method?
The inside of the hen house is shavings and the outside is sand.
I will post pictures soon too, as we have worked on this all summer long a bit here, a bit there.
Maybe there is a pitchfork with very small prongs where to poop won't fall through?

One more thing... In my flock I have one leghorn. I can't figure out is she is a he or maybe she is just a she. phew!!
Very friendly, but lately is kinda doing her own thing when they are out free ranging. She was the first to grow her comb before all the rest. (Big Red comb) The other are just starting to grow. On each of her legs she has two tiny little thorns. They have been there a while and haven't gotten any bigger. I can take a pictureof her and come back and post it, if that is easier.
Well that's enough, I hope someone can help with all my questions

love.gif
Jenny

Quote:
Jenny: Have you ever seen the longer handled scoops and rakes used to clean up dog piles? It is a rake on a short pole (maybe 3 feet long), and a metal 3-sided open box on another pole of equal length to the rake. The idea is that you put the bucket/box part on the grass in front of the pile and use the rake to get it in there. No stooping or bending required. I have never tried it in a coop, but the prongs of the rake are close enough that I bet it could be of some use to you...it would surely save your back!
smile.png

Sandy

Don't want to be overbearing, dear ones; but this seems off the thread topic. A new thread should therefore be started. We try to avoid 'hijacking' threads.

Peace:)

Back
Top Bottom