Limit their tomatoes??

i POSTED BEFORE--LIKE i SAID I think u are fine---as long as they have alot of water and fresh feed they should be fine---don't worry..Love them up, like we do..They will be good...good luck...Chicken Lovers Unite!!!
thumbsup.gif

yuckyuck.gif
oh my I can hardly wait to roll our cherry tomatoes on the ground, sounds fun!

I have a pullet who will run across the yard at the sight of tomatoes, and tries to hoard them all for herself.
I've often wondered if they could eat too much!

My hens also love eating tomatoes out of our garden. As long as the poop works its way into the ground when I water, I would care less if it is runny or solidish.

Because our garden-slash-greenhouse is giving us sooo many tomatoes all the time, I love giving my girls extras!
smile.png
I don't think there is such thing as too many, but, eh.

I'll admit though, most of the tomatoes that go to the chickens are the red ones. We keep the orange, yellow, green, purple, pink, white, and bi-colored ones to ourselves!
droolin.gif

I feed mine some of the "ugly" tomatoes from our garden. They do love them, and I have noticed that shortly after they eat them, they get the "squirts". I assume its due to the high accidity levels in the friut, maybe?
They get the same way when I feed them watermellon too. (don't know if watermellon has high accidity levels, but....they get all squirty on me anyway)

Just last week, I picked a whole 5 gallon bucket of cracked spoiled tomatoes (summer heat damaged) and dumped it in the Chicken Run. They seemed happy and nobody died or anything else unpleasent.

I have been giving my hens a few tomatoes from the garden when I pick them and they love them. Does anyone know if unripe tomatoes are safe for them to eat? Irene knocked a bunch of tomatoes off the vines and I have left them sitting in the window to see if they will ripen. A few are still totally green and don't look like they are going to ripen. I know unripe tomatoes should not be fed to dogs, does anyone know if this applies to chickens as well?

Back
Top Bottom