Limp and lifeless chick, any ideas?

Coreyboy18

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
New Orleans, LA
I received my chicks yesterday and all seemed to be great. Today I noticed one sleeping a lot, which I know chicks do, but when I returned from lunch I knew something was wrong. I picked her up and her body is just limp, her head dangles, her eyes are closed and she looks really bad. She is alive and breathing, she is also doing this thing when she opens her mouth and extends her neck...looks like a type of gasp of sorts but it doesn't follow her breathing pattern. I mixed some of the starter feed with some sugar water and put it in a syringe to feed to her. I gave her a little bit but she doesn't really take to it, she shakes her head. Any ideas on how I can bring her back to life? Any help is appreciated.

Usually when they get to that point, it's too late. The only thing I ever had work is popping them in to a warm Bator to get them totally warm.

Wow, you're right. Just that fast, she's gone.
sad.png

Get some Poultry Nutri-drench, and place a drop alongside its beak. Then put a few drops in its water so the water has a tint about the same as weak tea. You can try feeding it crumbled tofu if it refuses to eat its chick crumbles after moistening them.

Unfortunately, some chicks fail to thrive no matter what you do. I recently had one, and it was terribly sad.

I'm so sorry. Just know that this happens to many of us, and it's sad and disappointing. Some chicks hatch with genetic flaws that prevent them from thriving.

Back
Top Bottom