Qquails899

Songster
Dec 26, 2019
Hungary
Hello all
I’ve had this coturnix quail for about a year now, and she’s been having problems. She started constantly panting a month after I bought her, we’ve been to the vet but the medicine he gave didn’t help. She also has difficulties swallowing…I’d attach a video of that if I knew how to :/
And here’s the other problem: I accidentally broke one of her nails off back in August…there was blood everywhere and honestly I felt like the most horrible pet owner (I still kinda do) but I was able to stop the bleeding quite quickly. About 3 and a half weeks later she started limping and hasn’t stopped since. It got a bit better, but she still doesn’t stand on that leg. What could the problem be? There’s no sign of injury other than that one missing nail.

Hello all
I’ve had this coturnix quail for about a year now, and she’s been having problems. She started constantly panting a month after I bought her, we’ve been to the vet but the medicine he gave didn’t help. She also has difficulties swallowing…I’d attach a video of that if I knew how to :/
And here’s the other problem: I accidentally broke one of her nails off back in August…there was blood everywhere and honestly I felt like the most horrible pet owner (I still kinda do) but I was able to stop the bleeding quite quickly. About 3 and a half weeks later she started limping and hasn’t stopped since. It got a bit better, but she still doesn’t stand on that leg. What could the problem be? There’s no sign of injury other than that one missing nail.
Does she always have enough water? Is she somewhere with enough airflow? Is she stressed? Allergies? These birds are very strong and can survive when we think they might not. I hope she gets better. Has she been this way for a year now?

Does she always have enough water? Is she somewhere with enough airflow? Is she stressed? Allergies? These birds are very strong and can survive when we think they might not. I hope she gets better. Has she been this way for a year now?
she sounds like a survivor. And I truly hope she gets better fast... Although if she has been this way for a year shes a trooper and has adapted to her physical restrictions.

Yes, she’s been this way for almost a year. She’s not stressed at all, she’s calm. My two birds are in a cage in my room (it’s a guinea pig cage I think, it’s big enough for two birds) so I don’t know about the airflow, but the other quail is fine. Allergies might be a cause of the problem here, but I have no idea. I’m more worried about her limping right now because all of my birds recovered from limping within a week or so, but this has been going on for way too long.

What are you feeding her?
Chicken feed, it looks like this, all of my other birds could swallow it just fine. Her throat sounds watery though.

Attachments

• B5005335-CD5B-417C-BC81-422DD790ECA4.jpeg
    B5005335-CD5B-417C-BC81-422DD790ECA4.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 9
You can upload your video to YouTube and then post a link here. Pictures of her legs and feet would also be helpful.
Here’s a picture of the nail that broke off. It seems like it’s growing back…? I didn’t knew it will grow back. Or is it something else?

Attachments

• A04A9F56-901F-4D7F-B29D-AC5BA5935ADD.jpeg
    A04A9F56-901F-4D7F-B29D-AC5BA5935ADD.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom