Qquails899

Songster
Dec 26, 2019
Hungary
Hello all
I’ve had this coturnix quail for about a year now, and she’s been having problems. She started constantly panting a month after I bought her, we’ve been to the vet but the medicine he gave didn’t help. She also has difficulties swallowing…I’d attach a video of that if I knew how to :/
And here’s the other problem: I accidentally broke one of her nails off back in August…there was blood everywhere and honestly I felt like the most horrible pet owner (I still kinda do) but I was able to stop the bleeding quite quickly. About 3 and a half weeks later she started limping and hasn’t stopped since. It got a bit better, but she still doesn’t stand on that leg. What could the problem be? There’s no sign of injury other than that one missing nail.

Update on my bird: She still hasn’t improved. She doesn’t put pressure on one leg. I think it might be a joint problem, because she doesn’t let me touch her hock. It doesn’t seem swollen though. Also she’s getting a bit overweight (my other bird died at the age of 3 and now she’s all alone so she eats all day). Can I do anything about her leg?
If you're feeding her high protein food, you might find something closer to 20% protein. Adult quail don't need as much as chicks.

The other option would be to take her to a vet.

It may have injured it's leg because of the long toe nails....may have hung up on something and pulled a muscle or tendon. Looks like a normal toe nail growing back after being cut too short. As far as swallowing, I have seen birds do that before, nothing really to worry about unless they quit eating. You might try moisting the crumbles to see if that helps.

Here’s a picture of the nail that broke off. It seems like it’s growing back…? I didn’t knew it will grow back. Or is it something else?
Those nails are long enough to be causing some limping. They need to be trimmed. You may consider adding a brick or something rough to her pen. That way she can wear her nails down so you don't have to trim them after you've gotten them into shape.

It may have injured it's leg because of the long toe nails....may have hung up on something and pulled a muscle or tendon. Looks like a normal toe nail growing back after being cut too short. As far as swallowing, I have seen birds do that before, nothing really to worry about unless they quit eating. You might try moisting the crumbles to see if that helps.
Oh I know why it broke off, it did so because I’m a horrible quail mom.
I was in a hurry because I was supposed to leave home for 3 weeks and I saw that there’s a lot of dried poop on that nail, so I tried to gently scratch it off (my mother was feeding my birds while I was away and I know she can’t really do it all by herself and I didn’t want it to build up by the time I get home). I usually soak their legs in warm water before I clean their nails but I didn’t have time for that then. And to my (and my bird’s) horror the entire nail came off.

If you're feeding her high protein food, you might find something closer to 20% protein. Adult quail don't need as much as chicks.

The other option would be to take her to a vet.
Thank you so much
I’m also considering giving her millets and cracked wheat instead of just chicken feed, along with some vitamins because she doesn’t really eat the fruits and greens I offer her.

Interesting... did he have any suggestions to help clear up the fluid? Pedro isn't sneezing as much as she used to when she was younger (she used to sneeze a lot...), but this is the first time I've heard the wheezing / whistling noise while she's breathing. She can even chirp at the same time. And it's not always.
Yes, but then I told him we already tried that medicine about like what, half a year ago? He must have forgotten. It wasn’t succesful though, because we had to mix it with so much water that she wasn’t able to swallow it at once. It was a torture for that poor bird. He said there’s also a tablet for it, but I’m not sure if I could get her to eat it.

O no! What do they look like? Is she getting better now?

Here's Pedro. I don't see any injury or mites. It's her right leg that is hurting her. I think the source is up at the top of her leg or hips. IMG_20221111_144047065.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom