It may have injured it's leg because of the long toe nails....may have hung up on something and pulled a muscle or tendon. Looks like a normal toe nail growing back after being cut too short. As far as swallowing, I have seen birds do that before, nothing really to worry about unless they quit eating. You might try moisting the crumbles to see if that helps.

Here’s a picture of the nail that broke off. It seems like it’s growing back…? I didn’t knew it will grow back. Or is it something else?
Those nails are long enough to be causing some limping. They need to be trimmed. You may consider adding a brick or something rough to her pen. That way she can wear her nails down so you don't have to trim them after you've gotten them into shape.

It may have injured it's leg because of the long toe nails....may have hung up on something and pulled a muscle or tendon. Looks like a normal toe nail growing back after being cut too short. As far as swallowing, I have seen birds do that before, nothing really to worry about unless they quit eating. You might try moisting the crumbles to see if that helps.
Oh I know why it broke off, it did so because I’m a horrible quail mom.
I was in a hurry because I was supposed to leave home for 3 weeks and I saw that there’s a lot of dried poop on that nail, so I tried to gently scratch it off (my mother was feeding my birds while I was away and I know she can’t really do it all by herself and I didn’t want it to build up by the time I get home). I usually soak their legs in warm water before I clean their nails but I didn’t have time for that then. And to my (and my bird’s) horror the entire nail came off.

Update on my bird: She still hasn’t improved. She doesn’t put pressure on one leg. I think it might be a joint problem, because she doesn’t let me touch her hock. It doesn’t seem swollen though. Also she’s getting a bit overweight (my other bird died at the age of 3 and now she’s all alone so she eats all day). Can I do anything about her leg?

Update on my bird: She still hasn’t improved. She doesn’t put pressure on one leg. I think it might be a joint problem, because she doesn’t let me touch her hock. It doesn’t seem swollen though. Also she’s getting a bit overweight (my other bird died at the age of 3 and now she’s all alone so she eats all day). Can I do anything about her leg?
If you're feeding her high protein food, you might find something closer to 20% protein. Adult quail don't need as much as chicks.

The other option would be to take her to a vet.

If you're feeding her high protein food, you might find something closer to 20% protein. Adult quail don't need as much as chicks.

The other option would be to take her to a vet.
Thank you so much
I’m also considering giving her millets and cracked wheat instead of just chicken feed, along with some vitamins because she doesn’t really eat the fruits and greens I offer her.

Let me know if you figure out anything for her leg. My Pedro has been limping since her last batch of eggs hatched in July. I can't find any swelling or obvious injury, but I also suspect something related to a joint or maybe her hips. Might have been caused from sitting on her eggs or babies? Before she sat on the eggs she was fine, noticed the limping right after they hatched . She is 3.5 years old and is now sleeping most of the day at home by herself while her babies and their dad spend the day out running around the neighborhood. I wish there was something I could do to help her. I feel like this last batch of babies really aged / exhausted her (she hatched 6 babies this year).

Here she is with her injured leg straight out instead of folded under her like usual. She also has four babies underneath her, so that may be why..
IMG_20220724_091207147_MP~2.jpg

Let me know if you figure out anything for her leg. My Pedro has been limping since her last batch of eggs hatched in July. I can't find any swelling or obvious injury, but I also suspect something related to a joint or maybe her hips. Might have been caused from sitting on her eggs or babies? Before she sat on the eggs she was fine, noticed the limping right after they hatched . She is 3.5 years old and is now sleeping most of the day at home by herself while her babies and their dad spend the day out running around the neighborhood. I wish there was something I could do to help her. I feel like this last batch of babies really aged / exhausted her (she hatched 6 babies this year).

Here she is with her injured leg straight out instead of folded under her like usual. She also has four babies underneath her, so that may be why..
View attachment 3316775
Aww I’m so sorry :c
We’ve been to the vet, it looks like he doesn’t know much about birds. He held my poor bird by the wings and turned her on her back…she was choking. She already had respiratory problems but now her breath sounds even more watery. Anyways she got a vaccination of some sort and we are supposed to go back tomorrow. I’m so worried :c

Back
Top Bottom