O wow. That sounds traumatic! I heard it's hard to find a vet who knows how to help birds. Pedro also started making a wheezing noise sometimes when she's breathing. She's getting old I guess.
Hope your sweety pie gets better soon!

O wow. That sounds traumatic! I heard it's hard to find a vet who knows how to help birds. Pedro also started making a wheezing noise sometimes when she's breathing. She's getting old I guess.
Hope your sweety pie gets better soon!
Yesterday we went back and this time the vet we usually go to was there. I told him not to hold her upside down because she almost choked the day before. He gave us some drops for her feet. He also told me the panting and wet sneezing is due to some kind of chronic illness. She has fluid in her air sacs.

Interesting... did he have any suggestions to help clear up the fluid? Pedro isn't sneezing as much as she used to when she was younger (she used to sneeze a lot...), but this is the first time I've heard the wheezing / whistling noise while she's breathing. She can even chirp at the same time. And it's not always.

Interesting... did he have any suggestions to help clear up the fluid? Pedro isn't sneezing as much as she used to when she was younger (she used to sneeze a lot...), but this is the first time I've heard the wheezing / whistling noise while she's breathing. She can even chirp at the same time. And it's not always.
Yes, but then I told him we already tried that medicine about like what, half a year ago? He must have forgotten. It wasn’t succesful though, because we had to mix it with so much water that she wasn’t able to swallow it at once. It was a torture for that poor bird. He said there’s also a tablet for it, but I’m not sure if I could get her to eat it.

O no! What do they look like? Is she getting better now?

Here's Pedro. I don't see any injury or mites. It's her right leg that is hurting her. I think the source is up at the top of her leg or hips. IMG_20221111_144047065.jpg

Last edited:
O no! What do they look like?
Well, the scales on her legs look weird, they are damaged and ugly. It doesn’t look that bad but it’s noticable. I’m so dumb for not recognizing the problem earlier! I’ll start treating her when I get home. Oh and also the joint of the leg that she is able to use started to swell up. Poor bird!

O no! What do they look like? Is she getting better now?

Here's Pedro. I don't see any injury or mites. It's her right leg that is hurting her. I think the source is up at the top of her leg or hips.View attachment 3330353
Aww poor Pedro. She’s so beautiful though!
Initally I thought the problem was somewhere near my bird’s hips too, but now I know it isn’t. Let’s hope both of our quails will get better soon :)
Personally I wouldn’t worry about Pedro making a whistling noise as she breathes. I had a 3 year old coturnix quail who just passed away a few weeks ago (3 years is pretty old for a coturnix!)
I think birds tend to make weird noises as they grow old. I’m not a professional though and I don’t have that much experience either.

Back
Top Bottom