Limping chick help

rlhagan56

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Out West
I noticed one 5 week old chick was limping, finally caught her and couldn't find any swelling or injury. It wasn't severe limping. So I just kept an eye on her. I had pullets before sprain a leg and after a week of confinement they were fine. But this bunch is too young and not roosting yet. This week her limping is worse, she appears healthy otherwise. Her hurt leg turns in more than it did before, I still can't find any swelling and the limbs move normal when I check her out. I can see it hurts because she frequently just lays there. I caught her and have her confined in a small cat carrier, hoping she improves. She is wild and terrified of me so I hated to catch and confine her.

Any advice on what I can do? I was wondering if a foam type brace between her legs might help. I have her on deep shavings in the carrier. She is my favorite, a pretty blue/gold color dang it.

Can you post a picture of her leg?

Do you have chick vitamins to give her?

She does bear weight on it, but over the last 10 days she limps worse and turns her right foot in (the injured side).

While I hold her. She eats drinks, no swelling, normal movement with my hand. She walks and runs on it, but less now that it hurts more. I do have a B vitamin supplement to add to her water. Didn't know if I should though, so haven't yet. She just turns it in more as time has wore on.

Last edited:

She does bear weight on it, but over the last 10 days she limps worse and turns her right foot in (the injured side).

While I hold her. She eats drinks, no swelling, normal movement with my hand. She walks and runs on it, but less now that it hurts more. I do have a B vitamin supplement to add to her water. Didn't know if I should though, so haven't yet. She just turns it in more as time has wore on.

No expert here, but I would give her vitamins...not sure if just vitamin B or a combo type vitamin would be better.

Back
Top Bottom