Limping Drake

arrowti

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Maine
I'm looking for a little advice on helping our 2.5 year old Drake Opie (pekin/cayuga mix) who has started limping. He's a clumsy duck so I'm 99% certain he fell or tripped and hurt his leg. I see no injury or blood. I can't check it out yet as he isn't fond of being touched or picked up and I don't want to aggravate the injury by chasing him around the entire enclosure... I could check it later when I put them in (easier to catch him in the house) and check for any swelling or heat, but from a distance it does look normal compared to his other leg.

He has a lot of trouble getting up after he's lying down (falls over a few times) but once he's up he limps only a little bit and is acting otherwise normal. Eating, drinking. No mating since he's been limping and hopefully it stays that way so he can heal.

He's very protective and bonded to his 4 girls so I'd prefer not to separate him, since if he can't see them he panics, and if they can't see him, they panic.

Any advice? Just leave him be and keep an eye on it getting worse? He can stretch the leg out just fine, keeps it raised when he's standing, and I've even seen him scratch his head with it. I assume it's stiff and sore. Definitely not broken.

Maybe you will get blessed like me and he will heal himself. My ducks have done that several times. Other than that I'm sorry I have no advice to give you because I never do anything myself. Hope he gets better
smile.png

I had a young Drake who fell out the side of the Kiddie pool fighting with another Drake...He sprained his leg and just like people it took about 3 to 4 weeks to heal....If He is eating and seems fine? Leave him....Silly clumsy Ducks!!!

Cheers!

Last edited:
If he were easier to handle, I would suggest Epsom salt compresses followed with T-Relief or comfrey salve, but I really understand the touch-me-not ducks - we have three of them out of our sixteen.

If you are sure there is no cut or bumble, then time will probably heal the injury. Time floating in water, especially nearly lukewarm - not icy cold - should help. I would probably give vitamins in the water once a week, just to give a little health boost, but I agree with chickens really that sprains and pulls pretty much resolve themselves but it can take weeks, especially without any treatment.

Once I can pick him up he's not bad (sometimes he tries to run still and might scratch but there's not much force behind it). The problem is... catching him.

This morning I still see no swelling, and his foot looks completely fine, no wound or bumble. He's standing a little quicker this morning, and he managed to climb into, and out of the pool. He was noticeably moving better after getting out of the pool, so I guess just soaking in water might help ease the soreness.

He's the kind of Drake who falls off the hen 3 or 4 times before finally managing to successfully mate with her, so it's only a wonder how he's managed to avoid a leg injury until now.

Once I can pick him up he's not bad (sometimes he tries to run still and might scratch but there's not much force behind it). The problem is... catching him.

This morning I still see no swelling, and his foot looks completely fine, no wound or bumble. He's standing a little quicker this morning, and he managed to climb into, and out of the pool. He was noticeably moving better after getting out of the pool, so I guess just soaking in water might help ease the soreness.

He's the kind of Drake who falls off the hen 3 or 4 times before finally managing to successfully mate with her, so it's only a wonder how he's managed to avoid a leg injury until now.
Is your drake molting now? I have a drake in a hard molt now and he has developed a limp and is generally pretty uncomfortable due to the molt. I wouldn't ordinarily connect these issues, but saw another thread about a limping drake in molt.

Back
Top Bottom