limping duck bumblefoot or injury? pics attached

mllc

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
Hello everyone. My pekin male has been limping for the past two days. At first I thought it was because he was playing (chasing) my dogs, and sometimes he gets a little carried away and forgets he's not a dog. Then it got worse, he was having trouble putting weight on his left foot, and after doing some reading on here I began to suspect bumblefoot. So I put on some gloves and wrangled up Mr. Duck (who doesn't really like to be handled) I looked at both bottoms of his feet and they both look the same, and netiher was hot to the touch. Then I noticed he is missing a claw, could this be causing his limping? and what do I do about it? I don't have easy access to a vet, as the local ones here don't work on "exotics" but I do have access to whatever medications and supplies amazon and tractor supply carry, and if needed I will of course bring him to a vet out of town.
IMG_2001.JPG
IMG_2002.JPG
IMG_2003.JPG

Could be the clawless toe. My little ducks sometimes have bloody toes and nearly all their claws are worn away from our cement driveway, because they fly and land on it. I don't see any obvious signs of bumblefoot from your pictures, usually there is a scab in the pad. If the limping isn't serious, and he can still walk around fine, maybe just leave it alone? Ducks are hardy and can recover from injuries fairly well. Dab some antibiotic oinment on the toe and wait to see. That's what I'd do in this situation.
My black bibbed Call Duck hen Daphne has a pretty noticable limp, and has had it for months. I don't know exactly what caused it, but she may have been dropped as a duckling and landed on it funny. She's adorable the way she rolls around on that gimpy leg.

Back
Top Bottom