Limping duck

Lex123

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
I have two pekins, a female and male. The male started limping 3 days ago. I’ve given vitamin b complex, peas, colloidal silver, and tried putting him in their big pool to stretch his legs. Nothing is helping. He seems to be getting worse he won’t even put his leg down. I even carry him in his coop and near his food. He’s eating and drinking but I am helpless as to what is wrong. I don’t have avian or exotic vets close to me. I figured that maybe it was bumblefoot but I checked his foot and there’s nothing that I see wrong with it. I think maybe the female has injured him or he fell. Please any advice? Thank you

Can you separate him so he's not having to move around so that he can get plenty of rest? Then, you can also monitor to make sure he's getting enough b complex (1 mL) and is eating and drinking enough.

Can you separate him so he's not having to move around so that he can get plenty of rest? Then, you can also monitor to make sure he's getting enough b complex (1 mL) and is eating and drinking enough.
They are very attached to eachother if I separate him he will be very nervous and scared. I put them both in their coop with food and water.

Does anyone know if I can directly put the b complex in his mouth with a dropper? Thanks!

I agree with @Crazy Maizie. He needs to be separated out and it needs to be done for his own good. His food and water intake need to be monitored. You can separate him outside in a dog crate or small fenced area. He may also be eating but potentially not enough food. If he stops eating and drinking enough, he can deteriorate and will require tube feeding.

I would take a look at his leg and see if it is swollen and feel for any brakes. If it is swollen, there will be heat coming off the leg. Pekins commonly get leg injuries and can take a bit more time to heal due to their weight. If it is an injury, he needs rest and limited movement. He would also need swim therapy, to take pressure off the leg and allow it heal and strengthen with less stress. Leg injuries take time to heal. I currently have one duck who has been in the house for probably close to a month now. She is doing better, but I still have a few more weeks to go. So you will need to be patient if it is an injury.

I would take some pictures of his leg and and feet so we can see them. I would also take a picture of his droppings. They can be an indicator if he is getting enough nutrients or not.

I agree with @Crazy Maizie. He needs to be separated out and it needs to be done for his own good. His food and water intake need to be monitored. You can separate him outside in a dog crate or small fenced area. He may also be eating but potentially not enough food. If he stops eating and drinking enough, he can deteriorate and will require tube feeding.

I would take a look at his leg and see if it is swollen and feel for any brakes. If it is swollen, there will be heat coming off the leg. Pekins commonly get leg injuries and can take a bit more time to heal due to their weight. If it is an injury, he needs rest and limited movement. He would also need swim therapy, to take pressure off the leg and allow it heal and strengthen with less stress. Leg injuries take time to heal. I currently have one duck who has been in the house for probably close to a month now. She is doing better, but I still have a few more weeks to go. So you will need to be patient if it is an injury.

I would take some pictures of his leg and and feet so we can see them. I would also take a picture of his droppings. They can be an indicator if he is getting enough nutrients or not.
When he swims in a deep pool it seems to feel better. I will try leaving him in the coop to rest after that. I have checked his leg and I do feel a heat on the top of his leg but it is on both legs. I will try to get a picture. I’ve given him peas and other fruits and he’s been eating his pellets but only if I bring it close to him (which I’ve been having to do so he’ll eat). He is definitely a bigger duck compared to my female. He’s always had wobbly walking while he was growing more than my female, I believe because he has more weight pressure on his legs.

When he swims in a deep pool it seems to feel better. I will try leaving him in the coop to rest after that. I have checked his leg and I do feel a heat on the top of his leg but it is on both legs. I will try to get a picture. I’ve given him peas and other fruits and he’s been eating his pellets but only if I bring it close to him (which I’ve been having to do so he’ll eat). He is definitely a bigger duck compared to my female. He’s always had wobbly walking while he was growing more than my female, I believe because he has more weight pressure on his legs.
The vitamin b complex @Crazy Maizie suggested should help with the recovery. It sounds like he has naicin deficiency. A lot of the feed contains the minimum naicin for ducks, but Pekin need more than the average duck. Providing the naicin in the b complex should help.

I would also do an epsom salt compress on his legs, especial where you feel the heat. It should help with any swelling and help with some pain he may be feeling.

I would highly recommend getting supplies for tube feeding just in case. The supplies can sometimes be difficult to find. I really hope it doesn't come to that, but it is best to be prepared. If you can keep the food near him, so he can continually eat, that would be best. I would weigh his food, so you know if he is eating his daily amount. Ducks should be eating about 0.4lbs of feed a day.

The vitamin b complex @Crazy Maizie suggested should help with the recovery. It sounds like he has naicin deficiency. A lot of the feed contains the minimum naicin for ducks, but Pekin need more than the average duck. Providing the naicin in the b complex should help.

I would also do an epsom salt compress on his legs, especial where you feel the heat. It should help with any swelling and help with some pain he may be feeling.

I would highly recommend getting supplies for tube feeding just in case. The supplies can sometimes be difficult to find. I really hope it doesn't come to that, but it is best to be prepared. If you can keep the food near him, so he can continually eat, that would be best. I would weigh his food, so you know if he is eating his daily amount. Ducks should be eating about 0.4lbs of feed a day.
I have been giving him niacin, so it does not make sense how he has a niacin deficiency. But I will try your advice with the epsom salt, thank you. Also he always has food near him.

Back
Top Bottom