Limping ducks - multiple people looking for help.

Ducks have somewhat delicate legs compared to other domestic fowl, and it's common for them to tweak them in their daily running-around. When I first got ducks I worried over every limp, inspected legs and feet, and fussed over them. But eventually I got over it.

I've owned hundreds of ducks, and, with the exception of one with a congenital hip problem, I've never had a limper that failed to recover. Not a single case of bumblefoot or botulism. My interference was just causing them additional stress and slowing their recovery.

Currently there are about 90 ducks free-ranging on our 13 acres and on any given day one or two of them are limping. But they always recover with no help from me. They don't need vitamin supplements or medicine, they just need to be left alone so they can recover naturally. Left to their own devices, they will limit their own movement until they've recovered.

So my own advice--take it for what it's worth--is that if your ducks have a sensible diet and exercise, and don't have any other signs of disease or injury, they probaby just twisted their leg running around, and will do best if you just let them rest and recover in their own way.

Webfoot

Webfoot, I'm glad all your many ducks are doing so well. And I agree that many times a bird can & will recover with no human intervention. But I've been reading a lot about leg issues with ducks, and many sources say it's due to poor diet, and that vitamin supplements including niacin & brewer's yeast can help.

My lame duck is one of two special pets of my son's, so I really want to do all that I can to keep them both be well. We do our best to handle them gently when we administer the vitamins, so as to not stress them further. They are being kept on pen rest together, so no one's upset by being alone. I wonder if this duck's problems stem from them having only layer pellets offered in their dish instead of chick starter or flock raiser.

I've been rereading some stuff, and I think I overlooked a sign of Niacin deficiency when she was younger, trembling legs. I always thought she was just cold.

Can she get the niacin she needs through the poly vi sol or do I need to give her straight niacin? And can it be corrected at this date? She's 5 or 6 weeks old now.

Quote:
I'd also like to know the answer to this. I had also read a recommendation to add brewer's yeast. Last night I looked for some at the store & just found tablets. How would you administer those to a duck? Or wouldn't you?

You grind up the tablets and sprinkle it on their food.

They don't need vitamin supplements or medicine, they just need to be left alone so they can recover naturally.

This was true in the case of my drake Jack. He limped for a day or two and then was fine. My khaki campbell hen started limping and she was dead within a week.​

Quote:
Here are two sources about niacin deficiency in poultry:

From http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/32/5/467

The symptoms observed were lack of growth, diarrhea, and general weakness.

From http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206928.htm

A niacin deficiency is characterized by severe metabolic disorders in the skin and digestive organs. The first signs are usually loss of appetite, retarded growth, general weakness, and diarrhea.

Have you seen any of the other signs in your poultry that indicate a niacin defiency?

Quote:
No I haven't, and that's reassuring. So I may not go as far as to buy extra supplements as long as no other symptoms appear. I usually wouldn't intervene this much for other birds, but like I said, they're my son's special pets and we want to give them the best of care. I don't think it'll hurt them to be kept on pen rest together, and given a few extra vitamin drops before bedtime.

And don't discount the amazing curative powers of chocolate ice cream for humans, it'll cure anything from bad head colds to advanced cases of sarcasm. I think I need a pint right now...

Quote:
Here are two sources about niacin deficiency in poultry:

From http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/32/5/467

The symptoms observed were lack of growth, diarrhea, and general weakness.

From http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206928.htm

A niacin deficiency is characterized by severe metabolic disorders in the skin and digestive organs. The first signs are usually loss of appetite, retarded growth, general weakness, and diarrhea.

Have you seen any of the other signs in your poultry that indicate a niacin defiency?

Those are great links - thank you! Now we have a better idea of what to look for.
It does state the legs are affected:
"Ducks and turkeys with a niacin deficiency show a severe bowing of the legs and an enlargement of the hock joint. The main difference between the leg seen in niacin deficiency and perosis seen in manganese and choline deficiency is that with niacin deficiency the Achilles tendon seldom slips from its condyles."

Quote:
A bow legged duck with big hocks?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom