Limping/dying ducks

Huh, come to think of it, the ducks probably weren't the only ones affected. We used the same corn (the mold-suspect ingredient) for all of our animals, and had some interesting coincidences. Namely, all the ducks stopped laying, the hens (sixteen or so) went down to an egg or two a day, and the dairy goats dried up a whole lot faster than they should have.

I think it's most commonly Aspergillus that it found in corn ... and, it can be a serious problem, long after the grain's gone. And, if it isn't? It can be checked, and you could possibly test the containers, or even the crops of other live birds. Here's the USDA's guidebook on aflatoxins in grain.

The following links are from the Merck Vet Manual ...
Aflatoxicosis
Fusariotoxicosis
Ochratoxicosis
Ergotism
Citrinin Mycotoxicosis
Oosporein Mycotoxicosis
Cyclopiazonic Acid
Sterigmatocystin
Diagnosis
Treatment
Prevention

As to the potentials for your other livestock, and as additional resources:

Cornell ... http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/aflatoxin/aflatoxin.html
Ohio State ... http://beef.osu.edu/library/mycotoxins.html

If it was DVE the lab would have known the second they opened the bird, the lesions in the esophagus and intestines are pretty specific to DVE. Testing is pretty accurate and easy to confirm if the necropsy points that way. The labs test for infectious disease even when you don't ask them to.

Thanks for clarifying, that makes me feel a lot better!

And the ducks have completely recovered. There's a hatch due on the 14th . . .
big_smile.png

I was going to make my own post but I just lost my entire muscovy flock over the course of 4 days.
hit.gif
I thought at first they were being harrassed by a dominant Drake and I culled it. They kept dying. The last two had an eye discharge. Strangley the Pekin ducks using the same pen and feeder are symptom free and still laying. I use a tractor and move it every other day. I use a tub for water that they fill with mud. It gets rinsed every 3 days or so.

Oh, that's horrible! Your poor, poor duckies! Wow.
sad.png

If you have any fresh carcasses, take them to get a necropsy now (if you can, that is). The place we take ours to offers the same price for up to six, I think.

You should probably give your ducks an additional water bucket that gets rinsed every day.

I already disposed of the birds. I should have looked at the liver. I will give the feeder a good clean when I get home and the waterer too. I am hesitant to buy another group of Muscovies because this could happen again. I would rather keep the Pekins if they are tougher. But I loved my Muscovies...

OMG you have similar stuff happening to ????????? is this awfull mine are dying as well I thought It might be hymers (hen Alzheimers) family slango and stuff but im not so shore
rant.gif

worst spring surprise EVER its gotta stop
hit.gif
my ducks died all of them anyways 3 that's all I got anyways gotta go buy a new hatch

the same is happening to my ducks.. this afternoon around 3pm, i found one of my ducks lying in the shade behind a tree, legs out, lying on it's belly and only moving it's neck. my older brother went towards it and poked it, usually it'd move and run off being he duck she is, but she didn't move and lay in her spot.
my father then came out and hosed it down and gave her some water to drink.. she was fine then suddenly she jut curled up and died.. i don't understand how, there was also no marks or symptoms.. and her partner in crime was doing fine.
i don't know if this happened cause of the hot weather we had today (around 39 degrees Celsius)
if anyone has any advice, it'd be good to hear!

Have the same problem limping ducks and then death. No other symptoms. I,m losing at least 2 a week now. What can i use and where can i get it. Very sad this is going on . i have one call duck i hatched on dec 25th last year that is limping this am.

Have the same problem limping ducks and then death. No other symptoms. I,m losing at least 2 a week now. What can i use and where can i get it. Very sad this is going on . i have one call duck i hatched on dec 25th last year that is limping this am.
Put it in a small pen with access to food and water.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom