Feb 5, 2022
Wyoming
Totoro: is a Cayuga duck and is about 6 or 7 years old she's had four ducklings she recently just hatched two of them so was recently broody about 3 ish weeks ago.

Weight: about 6 lbs (whatever is normal for her breed)

Feed: All flock, and layer feed I don't give any supplements but hope to get some soon, so I know the ducks are getting plenty of Niacin

Bedding: we use wood shavings for the coop the trouble here is pretty rocky and I can imagine not very good for duck feet.

Coop situation: The coop we have is quite small we got another last year but it blew over before we could prope clean and tie it down and use it. It's also raised higher off the ground than the current one and would not be suitable for ducks but setting the chickens in it will make more room for them in the one that already use and I would feel more comfortable closing it at night.

Possible causes: bullying, bumblefoot, age, pulled or tore a muscle or tendon, arthritis, I'm not sure why or what caused her limp and that's why I made this post I need help trying to figure out what her problem is and how to treat it.

If possible I might even take her to the vet but that's doubtful to happen with the current situation outside the flock.

Long winded paragraphs

She has no visible injuries, a very pronounced limp and a reluctance to walk, so painful legs, feet, or something else? She does have a Case of bumblefoot foot last I checked and previosly has had a slight limp but nothing to bad as now.

I do know she's old, pretty and is a wonderful duck as they all are and I want her to be comfortable in her last years whatever they may be and for her to wander with her ducklings who are getting carry independent now and will soon be full blown ducks and drakes.

The coop is not closed up at night currently since last month Totoro and another duck went broody outside of the coop so I felt it's safer to leave the coop open all the time untill the ducklings are bigger and the coop situation is better.

Perhaps the bumble foot hurts a lot right now? The ways she walks seems like she has something going on higher up in the leg to me.

Totoro started limping pretty bad about a month ago (she's had a bit of limp before but now she can hardly walk due to discomfort or physical limitations) The bad limp was really noticable a few weeks before she went broody

After she hatched her two ducklings Totoro could hardly keep up and stay near them when they wandered more. I've attempted to feel her legs feet and hips nothing seems super off but I also am not good at it, I'm going to get pictures of her legs and feet and try feeling for anything that could point to what's doing on, I have some help too and I'll try moving her legs to feel for any pops or whatever.

She does have a mild case of bumblefoot she's had it for a long time (not sure how long) and I've been planning on treating it after the worst cases of bumblefoot on my ducks were treated. She's very shy as she's always been and hates being picked up, she used to be hard to catch but now it's super easy she wants to run but it hurts to much (I only grab her when necessary).

She's been free range 24/7 ever since she went broody last month since her nest was outside of the coop, and with the current coop I don't want ducklings stuck in there with a bunch of adult ducks chickens and guineas during the night and before I let them out (that sounds like a recipe to a duckling with a limp), so free ranging them at night and day sounds safer at the moment.

Hopefully this wasn't hard to read I really want to get everyone in great health before winter so I'm trying to do all I can for them.

Totoro: is a Cayuga duck and is about 6 or 7 years old she's had four ducklings she recently just hatched two of them so was recently broody about 3 ish weeks ago.

Weight: about 6 lbs (whatever is normal for her breed)

Feed: All flock, and layer feed I don't give any supplements but hope to get some soon, so I know the ducks are getting plenty of Niacin

Bedding: we use wood shavings for the coop the trouble here is pretty rocky and I can imagine not very good for duck feet.

Coop situation: The coop we have is quite small we got another last year but it blew over before we could prope clean and tie it down and use it. It's also raised higher off the ground than the current one and would not be suitable for ducks but setting the chickens in it will make more room for them in the one that already use and I would feel more comfortable closing it at night.

Possible causes: bullying, bumblefoot, age, pulled or tore a muscle or tendon, arthritis, I'm not sure why or what caused her limp and that's why I made this post I need help trying to figure out what her problem is and how to treat it.

If possible I might even take her to the vet but that's doubtful to happen with the current situation outside the flock.

Long winded paragraphs

She has no visible injuries, a very pronounced limp and a reluctance to walk, so painful legs, feet, or something else? She does have a Case of bumblefoot foot last I checked and previosly has had a slight limp but nothing to bad as now.

I do know she's old, pretty and is a wonderful duck as they all are and I want her to be comfortable in her last years whatever they may be and for her to wander with her ducklings who are getting carry independent now and will soon be full blown ducks and drakes.

The coop is not closed up at night currently since last month Totoro and another duck went broody outside of the coop so I felt it's safer to leave the coop open all the time untill the ducklings are bigger and the coop situation is better.

Perhaps the bumble foot hurts a lot right now? The ways she walks seems like she has something going on higher up in the leg to me.

Totoro started limping pretty bad about a month ago (she's had a bit of limp before but now she can hardly walk due to discomfort or physical limitations) The bad limp was really noticable a few weeks before she went broody

After she hatched her two ducklings Totoro could hardly keep up and stay near them when they wandered more. I've attempted to feel her legs feet and hips nothing seems super off but I also am not good at it, I'm going to get pictures of her legs and feet and try feeling for anything that could point to what's doing on, I have some help too and I'll try moving her legs to feel for any pops or whatever.

She does have a mild case of bumblefoot she's had it for a long time (not sure how long) and I've been planning on treating it after the worst cases of bumblefoot on my ducks were treated. She's very shy as she's always been and hates being picked up, she used to be hard to catch but now it's super easy she wants to run but it hurts to much (I only grab her when necessary).

She's been free range 24/7 ever since she went broody last month since her nest was outside of the coop, and with the current coop I don't want ducklings stuck in there with a bunch of adult ducks chickens and guineas during the night and before I let them out (that sounds like a recipe to a duckling with a limp), so free ranging them at night and day sounds safer at the moment.

Hopefully this wasn't hard to read I really want to get everyone in great health before winter so I'm trying to do all I can for them.
Oh dear, I think you should at least try asking a vet about it or contact a bird sanctuary/rehab what they would do in that situation. It might be that she slipped on some of the rocks and landed weird, she could be getting bullied sense she is older. I'd suggest you keep her in a hospital/brooder type setup until she heals. Sense she's older it could be arthritis as I know that's more common in older ducks. You could see about getting her a cast for her leg, but that might not be the best solution if it is arthritis.

Oh dear, I think you should at least try asking a vet about it or contact a bird sanctuary/rehab what they would do in that situation. It might be that she slipped on some of the rocks and landed weird, she could be getting bullied sense she is older. I'd suggest you keep her in a hospital/brooder type setup until she heals. Sense she's older it could be arthritis as I know that's more common in older ducks. You could see about getting her a cast for her leg, but that might not be the best solution if it is arthritis.
I think asking a vet about it is a good idea just don't know how that will work.

When I treat my Pekin duck for her bumblefoot I might treat Totoro's too and have them in the same pen. Totoro isn't as active as my Pekin maybe it'd be better to let her wander she also has her ducklings so I wouldn't want to keep her separate of them.

I think thing needs to be done is to find the cause of the limp and then start appropriate treatment, I was planning on treating Totoro's bumblefoot already so I'll start on that at least and soaking and wrapping her feet would give me lots of opportunities to try finding the cause of the limp if its not the bumble.

We need some pictures and if you could even do a video of Totora moving around so we can see how she is doing? Can you see or feel any swelling along her leg redness or excess heat.
I can't do a video. In place of a video I tried to show the limp with pictures.
Before she gets up when I get to close for her comfort she does this. Sometimes she hisses but that was mostly when she was on the nest.
20230904_101339~2.jpg
20230904_101409~2.jpg
20230904_101410~2.jpg
20230904_101410(1)~2.jpg

Hopefully you can get an idea of what she does, I will get pictures of the bottom of her feet when possible.

Last I felt her legs I couldn't really notice anything off. I will start treating the bumble foot alongside my pekin duck.

Attachments

• 20230904_101413~2.jpg
    20230904_101413~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I'd start her on some liquid b complex while your treating her bumble foot. it is great to help strengthen their legs.
I have some b complex that I opened and was using a year ago would that be safe to use still? I believe it is, 20230904_125630_HDR.jpg

Their on all flock and layer feed, I've been wanting to get a niacin supplement that's easier to give and use than the b complex is. Like brewers yeast or something I just forget to get it when I go to the store.

Here's the b complex it's stored in my very sad first aid kit box which is completely dark on the inside.

20230904_125622_HDR.jpg

I keep it in the frig. Pull out some and look at it in the light if you don't see anything floating like mold it maybe okay to use. It may be a bit weaker now but should still help.
Okay, I will see if it's okay to use and then I will give her it, and treat her feet hopefully I can get Totoro's and my pekin duck Angelina, bumble foot gone before full blown winter. It's been warm here and very rainy it's unusual no snow yet but I've heard other places have already gotten some snow

Back
Top Bottom