Limping hen. Need advice.

Really looks as if you had two of them .. after a good soak try to fleck off any Please before you release her
Not fleckable, and not done limping. I was just considering giving her a test walk around the yard and a chance to stretch her legs without the other hens. With the bigger kennel, she will have more room to walk a little. Might be a pain to catch in there, but oh well. I'll probably re-soak and treat both. I'm starting to think she's favoring the other one now. Thanks

Can I ask the procedure you followed to try to get rid of the problem? Both feet look affected to me. Before you did anything, did she have a scab that looked pretty much healed in the dark areas there?

So, she has been in the kennel since Tuesday morning. She seems to be putting more weight on that foot. I'm inclined to let her out before the others are released and see how she's walking today. @NanaKat , @igorsMistress, @penny1960, @AllenK RGV, what to you think?
Pictures of both feet. The yellowed one is the foot in question. Neither foot is tender to palpation, warm, firm in any particular place. Both have darker spots, but they seem to me to be akin to the cracks in my non-pedicured feet that are hard to completely clean. Please correct my ignorance if I'm wrong.View attachment 2250562View attachment 2250563
Giving your girl a little more room and a walk about are both good steps. I enlarged the photos and concur with your assessment that these are more like callouses from normal use. Infection would be warm, reddish and more swollen. It certainly would not hurt to treat both feet to soften the callous and see if anything changes.
Your girl is going to be a lap hen before long!

So, it is coming up on 3 weeks now. I have re-soaked and removed darkened area. Bumble foot is definitely not the cause of her limp. She gets to free range alone and is eating, catching bugs, etc. She can move fast if she wants to and may be resting more weight on that foot. Today she was trying to get up and into my veggie garden and flower beds. I had to shoo her off of a pot on a small chair. I think she was trying to find a place to lay an egg. My question is how long do I let her limp around before deciding it is a permanent injury? She seems to feel well, and is holding up her tail, but a solitary life in a kennel is not much of a life for a chicken....

I agree totally have you set her in grass? Your the only judge of this alright, I mean that in the best way.. I think you have done a grand job of this .. Will her flockmates let her back ?

You may have a permanent limp. Try letting her range with the rest of the flock. From your description, she has stamina to range alone and has adjusted to her "handicap".
Her position in the pecking order may be lower than before, but they with jockey with her a little but she will be accepted.

There are only 3 others her age. Everybody is out now. A little pecking, but not bad and she is doing some of it. I will probably let them all out together a few more times and make some modifications so it easier for her to get up to/down from their chosen roost and the area where they lay eggs before I fully move her back in. Thanks for the encouragement @NanaKat and @penny1960. I was wondering if I should put her down soon. As long as she's able to act like a chicken, I'm glad I don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom