Limping Pea Hen...

sillyheadsfarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
We purchased 3 Peafowl from someone that handled them by picking them up by their legs and holding them upside down and pretty much tossed them into our car. It was horrible and we still think back on how cruel that was. We don't even know if the one female was already limping before or if they damaged her leg in the process. Meanwhile, she limps. We kept them in a small enclosed coup for a month, and let them out about 2 weeks ago, and they have been hanging out on our porch and close to our house and roosting high up in a close by tree ever since. The transition to their freedom has been a great experience, but still, we feel terrible about the one pea hen that continues to limp.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello! And
welcome-byc.gif
, more specifically, the Wonderful Land 'o Peas.

I'm sorry to hear about your girl. Some people are unbelievable, aren't they?
somad.gif

My pretty peaboy Peggy has a serious limp from a bad leg break. He came from a wildlife rescue; he escaped and was re-caught, and my guess is that someone grabbed him by one leg and he tried to get away, and this was the result. I took him to a good bird vet and she said that nothing could be done to help him; this was probably about 3 months after the leg was broken (by her estimate). I don't know, perhaps if his leg had been treated right away it could have healed properly. But based on what you say, I doubt that you will be able to do anything to improve your girl's leg problem.

However, Peggy is a sweet good-natured bird, gets along well with the peagroup, and can do everything the other peas do. Sometimes he has a bit of trouble keeping up, but overall he is doing fine despite the limp. I don't know if there is any way to tell if it hurts him, which is one thing I do worry about (although I couldn't do anything about it anyways).

Best of luck with your girl and your gang!

aw thanks for your reply, we feel so bad for her and haven't been able to find any answers. thank you for welcoming me, we are so in love with the Pea's, what beautiful peaceful creatures they are. we feel so happy that they have accepted us into their world!

Back
Top Bottom