Limping Pullet

Beccatrix

Songster
Nov 28, 2021
Wisconsin
One of my 5.5 month old pullets had her leg tucked under her today. Initially she was sitting oddly and then she was standing on one leg. While observing her,interest in the pumpkin I put out seemed high. Feet looked free of bumble, vent, eyes, etc were clean. She's in a small dog kennel to rest, and is still standing on one foot 12 hours later. Is there anything else to look for, or a way to make her more comfortable? Thanks in advance!

I had a similar issue with one of my hens. She limped around for a few days (I left it alone because there was no sign of any damage, heat, etc.), but before long, she was beating all the other hens in the race to get to the grapes. Shrug. Observe for a few, and it might just improve without any assistance. Definitely be ready to start some medical assistance if it takes more than a few days or gets worse.

One of my 5.5 month old pullets had her leg tucked under her today. Initially she was sitting oddly and then she was standing on one leg. While observing her,interest in the pumpkin I put out seemed high. Feet looked free of bumble, vent, eyes, etc were clean. She's in a small dog kennel to rest, and is still standing on one foot 12 hours later. Is there anything else to look for, or a way to make her more comfortable? Thanks in advance!
What do you feed including treats?

Any swelling of the joints?

What do you feed including treats?

Any swelling of the joints?
None that I noticed. They get scratch 2x/week and mealworms a few times/week. Every 2 days they get chopped greens. Extra grit is available. They're transitioning between their chicken crumbles and all flock with oyster shell.

Is she doing any better?

It won't hurt to offer her some vitamin support for a week or so. B-Complex, give her 1/4 tablet daily.
Thanks for checking! We did pop over to the vet (very fortunate to live minutes from a farm and avian vet, and this pullet is valuable breeding stock); she got a steroid shot. The vet said it seems like soft tissue damage. Ms. Rose is still in her kennel in the coop a few more days! We did switch her water to 12 on, 12 off vitamin boost!

Back
Top Bottom