Limping pullet

peterjarmo

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 23, 2013
ABQ, NM
Ive got a 5.5mo old blue laced Wyandotte that just started limping today. I checked her foot, no signs of bumble foot or other trauma. I felt her toes and leg up to the hip and didn't notice her wince at all and didn't feel any obvious deformities... Any ideas? Should I separate her from the flock (7 other pullets), they don't really bother her when she's sitting down so I don't want to un necessarily separate her...
Thanks for any tips...

Saw your post while searching for answers for the same problem. Thought I had a lethargic 12-week-old pullet. I just started free ranging a couple weeks ago. But did a closer exam of her legs today and noticed her leg joint is swollen. Which explains the sitting while everyone else is foraging, not coming for treats, last out of the coop and run, losing weight, but otherwise healthy, eating and drinking fine though at the bottom of the pecking order but not picked on. The tips I have found from others is: to confine her, if you let her free range, maybe just keep her in a small run/coop for a few days so she doesn't over use it; Epsom salts soak, especially cool water to relieve any swelling(similar to a sprain for us); and a baby aspirin in the morning and one at night crushed in yoghurt or a favorite treat. I'll be trying these tips myself and hope they do the trick! Good luck with yours!

Saw your post while searching for answers for the same problem. Thought I had a lethargic 12-week-old pullet. I just started free ranging a couple weeks ago. But did a closer exam of her legs today and noticed her leg joint is swollen. Which explains the sitting while everyone else is foraging, not coming for treats, last out of the coop and run, losing weight, but otherwise healthy, eating and drinking fine though at the bottom of the pecking order but not picked on. The tips I have found from others is: to confine her, if you let her free range, maybe just keep her in a small run/coop for a few days so she doesn't over use it; Epsom salts soak, especially cool water to relieve any swelling(similar to a sprain for us); and a baby aspirin in the morning and one at night crushed in yoghurt or a favorite treat. I'll be trying these tips myself and hope they do the trick! Good luck with yours!
Hello! Im stressing out!!! the symptoms you have described are exactly what my 4 month old wyandotte is doing!
hu.gif

She is always last out of the coop and sitting away from the others...she is a little bit of a loner and then today we noticed her walking funny and this afternoon she is only waking on one leg and lifting the other. I really hope its not this "merek diease"?? i have seperated her in the sae coop but put some mesh up with er own food and water and a cage with hay to lay in at night. I really hope a few days rest helps her
barnie.gif

Thanks country chic, I will try those tips out... She is doing a lot better today so I hope the trend continues...

I also have a hen with the same problem. It has been going on for many months now. She sits a lot, and limps when she walks. She doesn't squak if you touch her leg or feet. But one of her joints is bigger than the other. I'm not sure what to do about it. I have done some soaking, and that did seem to help her a bit. She is actually really well behaved and will sit in the tub soaking her foot until I remove her. Now that the weather is warmer I will have her soak her leg more.
She has also had curled toes ever since she was a chick.

Notice how big the right leg is especially around the joint:

It also goes slightly in front of her other leg.

Hello, I ran across this thread and hope someone can help. Thank you.

I need advice please! I've posted this yesterday on the Indiana and Emergency threads and haven't been advised.

My three month old Lavender Orp pullet "Violet" is limping! I still have her and my Jubilee, Adeline, stay in a large dog crate in our walk-out basement at night. I have to keep my coop sterilized to get rid of my one year old BR's leg mites. (I've never had any health problems w/my flock until this week!) Last night when the Orps walked in the basement door and to their crate, I heard a little crash (sound of dog crate metal) and looked, but everything looked okay. I'm thinking that maybe Violet hit her leg on the bottom lip of the dog crate when she got in and slipped. She can take a couple of steps, but falls. I've keep the two together in the dog kennels with plenty of pine shavings and a towel to lay on. She's eating, drinking, and pooping, but sometimes she pants. I don't know what to do for her and I feel really bad about the situation.

Hello, I ran across this thread and hope someone can help. Thank you.

I need advice please! I've posted this yesterday on the Indiana and Emergency threads and haven't been advised.

My three month old Lavender Orp pullet "Violet" is limping! I still have her and my Jubilee, Adeline, stay in a large dog crate in our walk-out basement at night. I have to keep my coop sterilized to get rid of my one year old BR's leg mites. (I've never had any health problems w/my flock until this week!) Last night when the Orps walked in the basement door and to their crate, I heard a little crash (sound of dog crate metal) and looked, but everything looked okay. I'm thinking that maybe Violet hit her leg on the bottom lip of the dog crate when she got in and slipped. She can take a couple of steps, but falls. I've keep the two together in the dog kennels with plenty of pine shavings and a towel to lay on. She's eating, drinking, and pooping, but sometimes she pants. I don't know what to do for her and I feel really bad about the situation.
Sounds like she has injured her leg. You can give her an epsom salt soak(15-20 mins),this is good for sprains/sore muscles. If it is only a sprain,you should notice an improvement in a couple of days. Panting is normally an indication that she is hot,but as she is in the basement,should be cool. For pain,you can give her a baby aspirin(81mg)dosage is 25mg per lb of body weight.

So sorry to hear your Violet is having problems. My 11wk pullet is still having problems too with a swollen hock. I'm new to chickens, so I do a lot of research. As you say, she very well may have bumped it or slipped and pulled something. I am trying a variety of things, so far no improvement. Maybe try an Epsom Salt soak. I'm doing cool ones to try and reduce swelling. The towel is a good idea. I haven't tried confinement yet, other than keeping all six in their run until afternoon when I get home. Then I let them out and my injured one tries to keep up. Some days I think we rounded the corner, other days I think we went backwards. I'm doing antibiotics, dewormer, extra carbs and protein, and electrolytes and vitamins. I decided to try all the arsenal since I wasn't sure what I'm dealing with. In pretty sure it's just an injury, but she seems to be getting worse. Hope yours improves quickly. It will probably just take time. Hopefully she didn't break anything and is just sore. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom