Limping young rooster

RaeElizabeth

Songster
May 3, 2020
I have a young rooster (black diamond pictured left) who is limping. He just started crowing and has a great personality and we intend to keep him. He started limping about or over a week ago. No signs of bumble foot. They are being treated for a very mild case of mites and lice that we caught early. He obviously injured it somehow but doesn’t seem too greatly impaired. He does take breaks laying down sometimes if he’s been on his feet for a while, but he gets around the whole (large) yard. Crows. I haven’t seen anyone try to fight him. (We still have several other young roosters.) He still seems to be top banana (behind the oldest hens). Can he live happily if injured and it never resolves? Things I was reading online said to cull but I see absolutely no reason for that.

Attachments

• 216EECB8-A9C2-4C80-ABD7-B09025F87E99.jpeg
    216EECB8-A9C2-4C80-ABD7-B09025F87E99.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • C676AC1C-41F3-4F80-9877-7293442493E9.jpeg
    C676AC1C-41F3-4F80-9877-7293442493E9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
I have a young rooster (black diamond pictured left) who is limping. He just started crowing and has a great personality and we intend to keep him. He started limping about or over a week ago. No signs of bumble foot. They are being treated for a very mild case of mites and lice that we caught early. He obviously injured it somehow but doesn’t seem too greatly impaired. He does take breaks laying down sometimes if he’s been on his feet for a while, but he gets around the whole (large) yard. Crows. I haven’t seen anyone try to fight him. (We still have several other young roosters.) He still seems to be top banana (behind the oldest hens). Can he live happily if injured and it never resolves? Things I was reading online said to cull but I see absolutely no reason for that.
If he's not distressed about it, just keep an eye on him for awhile. Make sure there are lower roosts for him, if he needs them. It also wouldn't hurt to add some electrolytes or vitamins to his water and/or feed. If it's exceptionally hot where you are, be sure he has adequate fluids - dehydration can take even the healthiest birds down, quickly.
If his limp gets worse and you still see no signs of bumblefoot (sometimes it's just a small swelling at first, not a hard core,) then you could isolate him for some rest-time. In the meantime, his behavior - and the behavior of others towards him - are key.
BTW - he's quite the handsome fellow, Good Luck with him!

What came of your rooster?

Back
Top Bottom