Limping

Callahan603

Hatching
Nov 5, 2018
one of our Orpingtons has started limping. I have checked for possible bumble foot but see no obvious callouses. Her leg feels warm to the touch but she does not pull it up when I touch it. We had a bantam that we suspected had Marecks but that has been at least 3 months ago. Anyone have any ideas?

Limping is one of the most difficult thinks to pin down in a chicken. It can be symptomatic of both simple and complex things, from Marek's to basic arthritis. Age of the subject is important here. Do you see any greenish or greyish bruising on the leg?

If you have some baby aspirin, try giving her one 91 grain tab. If it improves her limp and she becomes more active, it's probably just arthritis.

If it's something more sinister, the aspirin may not affect her limp.

Limping is one of the most difficult thinks to pin down in a chicken. It can be symptomatic of both simple and complex things, from Marek's to basic arthritis. Age of the subject is important here. Do you see any greenish or greyish bruising on the leg?

If you have some baby aspirin, try giving her one 91 grain tab. If it improves her limp and she becomes more active, it's probably just arthritis.

If it's something more sinister, the aspirin may not affect her limp.

SHe is not quite a year old. Would they get arthritis that young? I don’t see obvious bruising. The affected foot is clearly pudgier than the other but it seems like problem is coming from higher in the leg. Would finding a vet help?

By all means try to find a vet that will agree to see a chicken. That's always our first recommendation. It's much easier to examine a chicken first hand instead of trying to do it two-dimensionally over the internet.

Compare her two legs. Are the shanks equal size or is the gimpy leg swollen in comparison?

Arthritis in chickens can be caused by a virus. There's also a Mycoplasma bacteria that can cause swollen legs and feet.

We try to treat the most simple possibility first, then move on to more complex treatment for bacterial infections. Do the aspirin for a couple days and see how that affects her.

Do you have the capability to post a photo of the legs and feet? If not, examine the scales on her legs and tell us if there's any lifting up of the individual scales.

Back
Top Bottom