Limpy, the "handicapped" rooster.......

froggiesheins

Crowing
10 Years
Oct 14, 2010
Jurupa Valley, CA
69838_chickens_018.jpg
69838_chickens_021.jpg

This is 1 year old Limpy. He lives at the stable where I keep my horse. When he was a chick he got his drumstick stepped on by a horse and broken. We put him in a safe place to see what would happen (no one expected him to live). And here he is 1 year later looking pretty good. He is a loner and never goes very far from that feed bin you see him sitting on. I have always felt like watching out for him. I am the one that feeds him and he waits for me to come every night so he can get his goodies. Because of operating on one leg he needs help getting up to his night time perch so I always make sure the feed bin is in the right place for him to jump up from. One day we had temperature of 113 and he was so pooped from the heat he could not jump up to roost, so I just had to help him. He will let me touch him (took a year to get that far) but in order to catch him that night I had to sort of grab him by the tail first and then hold on. Man he was squawking and carrying on the whole time but I think after he was up high and safe, he realized I was just trying to help.

Another time he fell off the properties' 7ft cinderblock wall onto a warehouse parking lot. Man we were scratching our heads as to where did he go???? Then I thought to look there and sure enough, he was sitting on the ground looking bewildered and I think happy to see a familiar face. It took falling off that wall 4 times for him to realize how to get back by himself! He is my buddy, good old Limpy.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom