Investigating Links To Old Paginated Threads Aren't Redirecting Correctly

Blooie

Team Spina Bifida
9 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Northwestern Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
I'm not sure if we'll add this, but one trick: Go into the URL of the page you are on... like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ersion-discussion-information.1172392/page-95

... and just type in the number at the end, like this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ersion-discussion-information.1172392/page-45

We're working on adding this :)

Are you talking about the old numbers or the new numbers? I mean, I sneaked in my edit on the Mama Heating Pad thread to put in a link to the most updated way it's set up now, and a friend tested it. Reported back that the link I'd put in that edit, and had been using to put that page into posts all the way through the thread, now went to a different page completely. Um, yep it did! So I had to search the thread page after page because I no longer had any idea what page it would be on. I think the pages got reformatted during the conversion so the page numbers changed accordingly. I have my own way of putting links that I'll want to use routinely into my computer so when I found what I needed, I did my bookmark thingy and deleted the old one. One thing I haven't done yet is find one of the old posts where I refer back to that and see if that works or if it takes me to the page my unsolicited (and unpaid) tester found.

So I guess in typical Blooie fashion what I'm asking is, don't you have to KNOW the correct page number to type it into the URL like you showed? And if you have the page number based on where it was on the old platform, it could well be different on the new.

@Nifty-Chicken Edited to add: I just tested a few links in the MHP thread at random, knowing exactly where they were supposed to take me. They didn't. Different pages altogether. I'm in BiiiGGGG trouble because I'd relied on that way of linking back a lot and now people won't be going where I've sent 'em. Where's a hole in the ground when you need one? I'm gonna need one!

Last edited:
@Nifty-Chicken Edited to add: I just tested a few links in the MHP thread at random, knowing exactly where they were supposed to take me. They didn't. Different pages altogether. I'm in BiiiGGGG trouble because I'd relied on that way of linking back a lot and now people won't be going where I've sent 'em. Where's a hole in the ground when you need one? I'm gonna need one!

Can you show me some specific examples and I'll take a look?

Okay, @Nifty-Chicken I'm going to have to do this by putting you to work....it's just a situation that has to be DONE rather than SHOWN. Sorry. So, this example is probably be easiest explained simply by sending you to the Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder thread, like you don't have anything else to do. :D

When Beekissed posted her better setup, I bookmarked it to my favorites on my computer. I linked to it over and over again, both here and on BYC Facebook, to show people the newer way. It always worked great until the conversion.

Go to page 961. There, on post 9604, you will see the original link just as I used it for almost 2 years. It should take you to her post and photos on my thread.... but it won't. It takes you way back to page 16, post 151.

Same thread, the first page at the bottom of the opening post, I added the old link while I had the chance to edit. Testing showed it didn't link to the right place in the thread. So I hunted and hunted until I found Bee's post and photos, re-bookmarked it, and redid the link on page one while I still could. Now it correctly takes you to page 46, post 456, which is what the link on page 961 had always done before.

I think I know what happened. See if I'm way off here. My thread is extremely photo heavy, as warned in the title. This is a new way to do things and I put up plenty of photos to make the setup clear enough. People would quote that post - photos and all - and many many others, over and over again. Now the new format just puts the text in the quotes, (thankfully!) not all the photos!! So each page holds more actual posts now, which puts the page count off.

That's great info, thanks @Blooie !

Ok, so this post links to page 450, but goes to page 16. This is because the link was made in the old system and our automatic redirects aren't working properly. I confirmed it and will look into it.

... but on this post, it links to page 46 and goes to page 46. That's because (and correct me if I'm wrong) that link was added in this new system, so it links properly.

Your theory about quotes / images is interesting, but I don't think that's the case... but we'll look into it.

BTW, I'm putting this into it's own thread to investigate :)

That's great info, thanks @Blooie !

Ok, so this post links to page 450, but goes to page 16. This is because the link was made in the old system and our automatic redirects aren't working properly. I confirmed it and will look into it.

... but on this post, it links to page 46 and goes to page 46. That's because (and correct me if I'm wrong) that link was added in this new system, so it links properly.

Your theory about quotes / images is interesting, but I don't think that's the case... but we'll look into it.

BTW, I'm putting this into it's own thread to investigate :)

Thanks for giving this a separate thread! You have it exactly right. That's just what happened. How come you said it so shortly and easily and I struggled so hard to keep it under encyclopedia sized? :confused: Thanks for looking into this, but it's not of earth shaking proportions in light of everything you want to get done yet, unless it happens to someone else. I just wanted to bring it to your attention for that day when you had nothing else to do.

Back
Top Bottom