Linoleum Flooring on coop floor

4boyz

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
I have been planning on putting down some linoleum flooring in my coop to help with cleaning. The other day I was reading on a website that discouraged using linoleum on the coop floor, because urine and moisture will be able to seep under and rot the wood. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks!

I use linoleum and it makes it very easy to clean. Ive never had a problem of moisture seeping through, I dont think it would be an issue for you.

I wouldn't use it. The only thing good(?) about it, is that it is cheap. We are talking about an chicken coop, a outside shed type building, with animals running around on it and doing everything animals do. We are not talking about the safe confines of a house kitchen. Your kitchen is not going to have several inches of wood chips on it, that may get wet from blowing rain, with the added bonus of chickens scratching around on it. Linolium after awhile gets brittle and easily damaged over time.
You want to put something down on your floor that will last. I used a rubberized roof coat material I got from Lowes. The stuff is made to stand up to nature's worst sealing up roofs. Not only does it seal the floor up, it also seals the gap between the floor and where the walls meet the floor. You know, the gap where all the creepy/crawlies live. Also the place that moisture can get trapped. I rollered out a heavy thick coat of this stuff on my coops floor sealing the whole floor, all the joints between the plywood, plus the wall to floor seams. I can literially flood my floor with water, and not worry about any damaged/trapped moisture at all. I can go into my coop with a shovel and not worry about ripping up linolium while I shovel out the old bedding. You want a tough floor, go with the rubberized roof coat.
Jack

Linoleum is good until it wears through. The same way it keep moisture from the substrate will keep it in when it starts to wear through. Mine was good for about a year.

JackE-We are just to the point of putting in the flooring of our new coop. I brought this up to the hubby and he said the cost will be about the same. How many coats did you put down? Is there a petrol stank to it? How long until you can put the birds in there if it does smell? He had put linoleum in the current coop and I did notice the chipping (mostly in the winter). I like the idea of sealing the joints.

Quote:
I put down 1 thick coat with a paint roller. The stuff came in a 5gal bucket, so I poured it on the floor and just pushed it where I wanted it. It did not have a petrol smell to it because the product I used was actually waterbased. The floor was dry to walk on after 24hrs. The product's name was Blackjack#57 if I remember correctly. It's been on there for over a year, and if I push the bedding out of the way, It looks the same as when it was first done.
Jack

I put linoleum on my floor and I love it. Super easy to clean. I live in the NW where it rains a ton and I haven't had any problems. I glued it down good and calked around all of the edges. When I clean the coop I can get it wet with no problems.

So far have had vinyl flooring in our coop for two years - LOVE it!! I have bedding down on top of it, and use a dropping board in my coop, so it doesn't really get much moisture on it?? Maybe if a coop isn't well made or isn't cleaned often I guess moisture could build up a lot????
hu.gif
Now, I don't like the stick-on tiles, but a sheet of vinyl flooring - YES!!

Back
Top Bottom