Listless Chicken with Diarrhea (Updated with pictures!)

After a worrying night (for me) I woke up early dreading to what I might find in the coop. But my cuckoo maran is much better this morning - she was standing on the roost when my husband opened the coop this morning. And she's walking much better and scratching and making her usual chortles. I still want to bring her in for a sitz bath (she wasn't having any of that yesterday). She seemed to want to work it out on her own; the others were very subdued yesterday but all seems well in the flock this morning.

Cslosberg, that is good news! Hope the flock has a great day.

Primenumbergirl, There is a lot of info about crops when you search the archives. I did that and learned a lot. I also thought (and still suspect) that this is the issue with Harriet. I have been giving her a syringe of olive oil every day and massaging her crop, hoping that whatever is in there goes through. I have not tried the flushing as I am afraid I will drown her. But others seem to have no problem with this...

Scratch that. It's not the crop. I went home at lunch to check on her and the lump was gone. Still, as an extra precaution I gave her some olive oil soaked bread, which she seemed to like, and she ate a few pieces.

I did connect her movable quarantine coop to the entrance to the vegetable garden and she seemed to perk up at the idea of getting some fresh air. When I left she was strolling around slowly, pecking at leaves.

Sara, does your chicken puff up when she sits down? Catherine has been puffing out her feathers, but only if she's off her feet.

primenumbergrl,

Yes, Harriet has been fluffing herself up when she lies down. She has also been extending her wings a bit when lying down. Not something I usually see, but I don't know what to make of it. She is not interested in food today, but is drinking her electrolyte water. We'll put her outside for a while this afternoon so she can enjoy the sun. Good luck with Catherine, and keep us posted! I will let you know if there is any change in Harriet.

Sara

My Ginger just had those very same symptoms and it turned out to be egg peritonitis. I rushed her to the Vet last Saturday and they gave her the once over. She was really listless, mopey, wouldn't eat, runny poo, tail down and just all around looked miserable. She stopped getting up on the perch to sleep and was sleeping on the floor. The Vet said her abdomen felt really puffy like a pillow. They took x-rays and found that she had fluid in there. A LOT of it. She took a sample and wanted to check for yolk (that would confirm the egg peritonitis). The next morning she called and confirmed it. So I took her back in and they drained a POUND of fluid out of her. Amazing. And through all of this Ginger was such a trooper. The fact that she was not putting up any fuss was a sign of how awful she must have been feeling. They gave me antibiotics (pills) and an anti-inflammitory (liquid) to give once a day. My hubby has been great about helping. I hold her and he pops the pill in her beak. As of Wednesday afternoon, she is coming out and scratching around again and looking sooooo much better. Even her tail is back up. The antibiotics must be knocking down the infection she had. Last night she put up a huge fuss about taking the pill. That's a good sign as well. She's now my 400 dollar chicken. *sigh*

Harriet is much better! We still don't know what it was, but we were honestly feeling as though we were going to lose her. She went outside during the day yesterday, and I will still keep her in at nights for a few more days. Thank you everyone for your help, I learned a lot about chickens this past week!

I appreciate how very knowledgeable posters are on this site. I have learned a lot of very useful information. And it's great to know that if I encounter a problem (and I'm sure there will be more) I can find someone who has experienced it and has suggestions on remedies.
Thanks, and everyone have a wonderful Mother's Day.

I think Catherine is better, too! She's been eating much more and her poop had gone back to normal. I'm not sure if it was the fluids from the vet, the antibiotics, or the extra rest indoors, but she's made so much progress.

Thanks for the support! I'm so glad this message board is here!

I have to follow up on this topic. Harriet is all better and has stayed out with the other hens the last 2 days and nights. But one unintended consequence of her having spent time indoors is that she now comes in the house at any opportunity! One of our dogs opens the sliding door and Harriet just wanders into the house. It is quite funny, at least for now.

Back
Top Bottom