Listless Hen

dogdollar

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2010
One of my hens seemed to be having a bad day today...she was just not herself...not pecking like the other hens, not gossiping...just kind of walking around like she was in a fog. I sure hope it's just a passing thing and that she's not sick or something. I know she laid an egg yesterday because I got nine eggs and I only have nine hens. Has anyone else seen a favorite hen just have a bad day and bounce back? It sure would make me feel better.
Thanks !!
DD

One of my hens acted that way when she was staring to go broody. I was in panic mode and my "Chicken Guru Friend" was on vaction and I was very worried that something was very wrong with her....little did I know at the time, she was warming up in the bullpen to be broody!

Hi dogdollar:

I've had that situation a few times. Fortunately, except for one time, the hen was just having a bad day.

On another situation, I took the chicken having a bad day put her in the small coop to chill out. She bounced back.

Another time I found the chicken who was having a bad day dead the next morning. No apparent cause. I guess it was just her time.

It's difficult to know.

She's less than a year old. Today, same thing...just stayed off by herself, looking sad....not scratching or pecking.
She went into the coop about an hour before sundown, got up on the roost and just sat there waiting for dark.
DD

When she's out, does she stand around, holding her tail down? Listlessness combined with holding the tail down, is a reasonably sure sign of illness. But that isn't to say you're going to be able to diagnose what ails her.

I have a Brahma who's literally been brought back from the brink with antibiotics, but who still behaves as if she is ill. Unless you have access to a talented chicken vet, you may have to just cross your fingers that it's something she will snap out of.

I wish you luck and hope it turns out she's just having a bad spell.

Quote:
Thanks so much...it's just so sad to watch.

My chickens have always been so happy.....

I guess we'll see.
DD

Instead of just waiting to see what happens try putting her in an area by herself. If she has an illness you don't want her to spread it to your other hens. Cook her something warm to eat that she really likes (scrambled eggs work well). Get her electrolites up by having her drink some pedialite. Infant vitamins are a good idea also. This always works for me without the expense of the vet. Keep her warm and dry for a couple days on this program and she should be fine. If things get worse then please call your vet.

Let us know how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom