Little chick, Swollen eye, sneezing HELP!!

Ashes2324

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
Fluvanna, Virginia
This morning I went out to feed and noticed my little black chick stumbling. He's 2 and a half to 3 weeks old. I picked him up and noticed him eye was swollen and goopy. We took him inside and put him in a cat carrier for now. He's eating and drinking and peeping fine, although he is sneezing a bit. We've had others chickens like this before I found out about BYC. Some lived, others... weren't so lucky. I haven't got a picture of him, but it looks Exactly like the picture I found. Help! Thanks!!

Also someone suggested using terramycin eye ointment, should I try it?

Last edited:
The chick may be suffering from a chronic respiratory disease, especially since you have seen it before. MG and other diseases are extremely contagious, and MG can be spread through the hatching eggs. I would start some antibiotics such as LS 50 (also called Spec-Linx), Tylan, oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin in the water. Any chick that recovers will still be a carrier. It would be good to get it tested to make sure what it has.

Last edited:
we had a similar issue with our gold-laced orp chick. We gave tylan 50 (any tractor supply has it) injectable liquid orally at 1/10CC (10IU) once daily for the last 5 days. Seemed better after day one, no symptoms after day 2 and is now happy and bouncy as ever.
You can get syringes for drawing the meds at TS too. Draw the tylan with a syringe with a needle, remove needle and feed to chick.

We would draw 1/4 CC (25iu) and feed it to the chick off the tip of the syringe until we were satisfied it had gotten 1/10 of a cc and discard any leftover.

We have also sucessuflly used terramycin for swollen eyes. I am about to start a thread on that particular issue. G/L!

we had a similar issue with our gold-laced orp chick. We gave tylan 50 (any tractor supply has it) injectable liquid orally at 1/10CC (10IU) once daily for the last 5 days. Seemed better after day one, no symptoms after day 2 and is now happy and bouncy as ever.
You can get syringes for drawing the meds at TS too. Draw the tylan with a syringe with a needle, remove needle and feed to chick.

We would draw 1/4 CC (25iu) and feed it to the chick off the tip of the syringe until we were satisfied it had gotten 1/10 of a cc and discard any leftover.

We have also sucessuflly used terramycin for swollen eyes. I am about to start a thread on that particular issue. G/L!
Thanks, could I use tylan and the terramycin at the same time??

Thanks, could I use tylan and the terramycin at the same time

We did, with positive effect on both fronts. Tylan is internal and terramycin is topical, applied directly to the eye, so there shouldn't be any direct interaction between the two.

Okay thanks so much, should I try a few days of isolation first? Someone else suggested that.

I would start treating immediately. CHicks are so small and weak by nature that they can go downhill very very fast.

I would definitely isolate the chick as well so it can't infect others if it is contagious.

G/L!

I would start treating immediately.  CHicks are so small and weak by nature that they can go downhill very very fast.  

I would definitely isolate the chick as well so it can't infect others if it is contagious.

G/L!

Thanks! We are isolating him now, hopefully we'll be getting the meds later this week. :)

Last edited:
STATUS UPDATE:

When kittens have goopy, crusted eyes, you can put warm/hot tea bags on them. I tried the same thing with Coal (the chick), he's opened his eye more, but not completely. Hopefully if I continue the Tea Bag Treatment, it'll continue to open more!
big_smile.png
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom