Little chicken cannot open eyes and is off balance

Chopped liver, ground beef, a small amount of cooked egg, or plain yogurt have b vitamins. Bcomplex is found at most grocery or drug stores, and can be put in food or water.

upload_2019-1-13_10-5-34.jpeg

Here's the little guy. Now inside and with a friend. Wings are not as droopy, he's talkative, he saw the flash, but he's laying down and can't eat

Attachments

• 49949451_231459857729526_2802316858986856448_n.jpg
    49949451_231459857729526_2802316858986856448_n.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 11
Cannot open eyes (sans one little area), eyelids shut.
Sneezing (Like that for a while, that room gets dusty)
Off balance (Always has been. Never fallen, just stands and walks a little differently)
Drooping wings (Like that for a while)

Eating laying mash, though cannot eat well due to impaired vision

I'm in Canada.

He's gasping a little. I suspect it's from the quick switch to warm air. It happened with another bird we brought in who is healthy
I went back through this whole thread. I see you are in Canada, so you will probably have to contact a vet for medications.

Let's look at this again...in your photo, it looks like the eye is swollen - do you agree?
Have you opened the eye to see if there is any pus in it? Your chick likely has a respiratory illness or if where s/he is being housed is very dusty it could be from that.
If there is pus in the eye, then that needs to come out, flush the eye with saline, see if you can remove the pus. Apply an eye ointment to the eye. Antibiotics will help with secondary infection, but you need to have good ventilation and reduce dust/ammonia from poop as well.

You mentioned that you were feeding layer mash - have you corrected that and switched to a chick starter? I do recommend that you feed chick starter until your birds begin laying eggs.

upload_2019-1-13_10-54-40.png

I do agree the eye looks swollen. I have made a half-starter, half-mash mixture to wean off. He is awake, his eyes just won't open. I don't know how to open the eyes without hurting him. He's having trouble eating normal feed because he can't see it. I have a little mix I made of yogurt, egg, feed and bread to try and fix it. He loves it. If I put water in a cup and tilt it, he will drink. He still opens his mouth a little and he prefers to sit down. He still preens and speaks to us. Not too big of a fan of being held, but he still seems comfortable. He still stretches as normal, although a tad unbalanced. Sneezing down, but he still does it. Him and his friend have been lying down together, sleeping. Any suggestions?

I do agree the eye looks swollen. I have made a half-starter, half-mash mixture to wean off. He is awake, his eyes just won't open. I don't know how to open the eyes without hurting him. He's having trouble eating normal feed because he can't see it. I have a little mix I made of yogurt, egg, feed and bread to try and fix it. He loves it. If I put water in a cup and tilt it, he will drink. He still opens his mouth a little and he prefers to sit down. He still preens and speaks to us. Not too big of a fan of being held, but he still seems comfortable. He still stretches as normal, although a tad unbalanced. Sneezing down, but he still does it. Him and his friend have been lying down together, sleeping. Any suggestions?
Can you consult a vet?
You are in Canada, so you probably can't get antibiotics without a script.
You will need to try to get the eyes open - apply warm compresses of saline on the eyes to see if you can get them loosened up, then flush the eyes with saline. Inspect the inside of the eyes for debris, pus/discharge. Remove anything you see in the eye.
Then apply an eye ointment, Terramycin, Vetericyn eye gel.

Eyes opened, still look a tad swollen. When the lights go off, she will flail around until a light is back on, or until I am with her. Akin to a human panic attack. After this, she will lie down, motionless. She will have an odd placement of her feet as well.
Attached is a video of the end of one of the "panic attacks", a photo of the weird foot placement, a video of the temp. housing and her in it (I took the water out because she kept going into it during the panic attacks, and another photo of her post-panic. is she lonely because we took her friend out? She had three of these attacks; One while I was trying to sleep, one when I went back to bed, and one when I took the video.
She still eats a few minutes after her cooldown, still sneezes a little (feed is dusty), wings still droopy, as they usually are. None of the other chickens do this, and this only happened when we took the friend out. I now have the light on, hoping she can sleep (Her room has a heat lamp).

Back
Top Bottom