Little chicken cannot open eyes and is off balance

slashmasteru

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2019
Canada
Our little chicken has never had great balance, but I thought I should add it. He cannot open his eyes, aside from a little part. He drinks when I put water up to his beak, he tries to eat, but he can't quite see it. Preening like he's comfortable, a little fluffed out (less fluffed now that I put him under a heat lamp and put warm shavings over his very cold feet), moving as he can without much vision (he has never been much of a mover, besides when it's treat time.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Black Ameraucana
3-4 months
always been lighter and thinner. Runt of the bunch

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Cannot open eyes (sans one little area), eyelids shut.
Sneezing (Like that for a while, that room gets dusty)
Off balance (Always has been. Never fallen, just stands and walks a little differently)
Drooping wings (Like that for a while)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Happened within 2-3 hours, seemed instant.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Not any, besides occasional sneezing

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Not from what I can see

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Injury?? We removed the problematic bird and I don't see any way this could have happened, but there is a possibility.
Dirty water??? I put in clean water all the time, but other family members don't do so as much.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Drinking water from this morning (A few shavings inside, a little feed inside)
Eating laying mash, though cannot eat well due to impaired vision

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
From what I can tell, the poop looks fine.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Getting him to drink, putting him under a heat lamp, warming shavings and feed to put on his cold feet

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We are not in a great financial situation, so we will do the best we can for what we have.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I do not have a picture of the bird, but it's easy to find similar photos online.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Shavings are along the ground, mixed with hay grass and a bit of dirt and gravel. Been pooped on, poop froze in

Any help would be greatly accepted. We love this bird dearly. Thank you. :3

Cannot open eyes (sans one little area), eyelids shut.
Sneezing (Like that for a while, that room gets dusty)

Off balance (Always has been. Never fallen, just stands and walks a little differently)
Drooping wings (Like that for a while)

Dirty water??? I put in clean water all the time, but other family members don't do so as much.
3-4 months
Eating laying mash, though cannot eat well due to impaired vision
Welcome To BYC @slashmasteru
Photos of your own chick and his poop would be very helpful.

How long have you had him?
You mention the eyes are shut - do you notice a discharge or pus from the eyes? Are they stuck together or does he just keep his eyes shut like he doesn't feel well?

Sneezing - is that accompanied with any mucous? The room is dusty, where are you keeping him (photos please). How much ventilation/air flow is in the room?

At 3-4months of age, feed your fella Chick Starter instead of laying mash. He is still growing and needs to the higher protein this formula offers and does not need the extra calcium.

It's hard to know what's wrong with him.
I would start by providing him with fresh clean water. Treating for Coccidiosis would be a good idea. You can find Corid at your local Tractor Supply in the Cattle section.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period.

He may have a respiratory illness as well or the sneezing could be from poor ventilation/dusty conditions. Clean up droppings frequently and see that he has a source of fresh air.
If the eyes are stuck shut with crusts, pus or discharge - apply some warm compresses to help loosen them up. Flush with saline and inspect the eyes well for any debris or pus. You can put a little ointment in the eyes like Terramycin, Vetericyn eye gel or plain Neosporin.

Do what you can to get him hydrated. You can also offer wet chick starter or scrambled egg to entice him to eat after he is drinking.

Look forward to the answers to the questions above and your photos. Keep us posted.

Thank you both for this information. I just have a few questions.
Is this completely safe?
Should we treat all three rooms or just the room the little guy is in?
Corid for calves will still work for chickens?
How long would have to receive Corid before it's too late?
Why would it happen so suddenly?
I will post photos when I can.

Is this completely safe?
The Corid is quite safe. You treat the chicken, not the room.
Corid is Corid. It treats chickens and calves. If you have the 9.6% solution, you want to add 2 tsp per gallon of water and provide this as the only drinking water for 5 days. You want to mix up a fresh solution daily.
You can also drench undiluted Corid directly into the chicken at a rate of 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once per day for 3 days instead of mixing it with the water.
Coccidiosis usually has sudden onset of symptoms.
However, your chicken may have more going on than coccidiosis, if this is what it is at all. It's just a safe treatment to start that could help her.

Is this completely safe?
Yes, it's safe:) Corid will not hurt your chicks. If there are other chicks that are in the same pen with him, they all can drink the treated water.
Knowing your set-up would be helpful. Do you have 3 rooms of chicks, are they all together?
Are there other chicks housed with the sick one?
Yes, Corid (Amprolium) is what you want.

Coccidia is a protozoa found in poop and soil. It thrives in moist and warm environments. If bedding is wet around water stations, water gets poop in it, etc. there can be an overgrowth of Coccidia. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

You will want to treat ASAP. Get him started on the Corid as soon as you can get it.
You may still have more than one thing going on, but treating him is your best bet.

It's very important to keep your chick hydrated with the Corid water, he needs fluids before you offer him food.

Corid comes in both liquid or powder form - here is what you need to look for.

I would just add if giving the drench of 0.1 ml per pound of undiluted Corid, still have the medicated water as well, and make sure that he is drinking it. Change that water daily, so that droppings are not in the water. I would really encourage him to eat and drink. You can even put the Corid treated water in some fresh chick feed daily.

I just checked on him a few minutes ago, and his eyes were open. Watery, but open. Is this normal? He seems better after I put him under the heat lamp for the night

Back
Top Bottom