little giant 9300

@only1bgirl are you checking to see if the air cells are attached in your shipped eggs? I thought I read they need to rest for 24 hours fat end up in a carton before incubating to give detached air cells a chance to reattach?

I came home to one more chick hatching for a total of 6. That leaves four that haven't pipped yet, including one that I marked as an early quitter last time I candled. I will leave them in for the weekend since its only Day 20. My temps must have been a bit high for most of them to hatch this early.

That's great news 6 out of 10 is good, hopefully a couple more will hatch! This is my fourth batch of shipped eggs, I just assume they're detached now and leave them in cartons without turning for the first 2-3 days. I asked someone else who does shipped eggs and they figured that them sitting on the counter or in the incubator, was OK. It's so hot here too and where they came from I figured instead of cooling them off just to set them anyway, the last batch I did the same and half developed. The first two batches I let them sit 24 and one batch did nothing and the other only had 6 take. I've had horrible time with shipped eggs, first two clutches were in a cooler bator though and nothing hatched. I'm really hoping that my fourth attempt will be successful.

Oh good to know. I know I will end up trying shipped eggs at some point. I've totally been bitten by the hatching bug. :)

Chick #6 is drying off in the incubator.

Two more dozen Silkie eggs going now, turner has not made it here yet. Think instead of opening it to turn eggs by propping the entire incubator instead of cartons, what do you guys think about this idea? Start turning Monday here. Curious how everyone is doing?

No more hatches yet. I put the new babies in with my lone chick from my broody and he seems much happier.

So not even a day after my first incubator hatch wraps up I want to incubate more. I am totally bitten by the hatching bug haha. But I will give myself a week cooling off period before I get more eggs. I may decide seven new babies are enough to handle for now.

That's great news, happy to hear the lone chick took to the babies well! We can't take one out of the brooder without the other one, they really are social! Hatching is addicting, I haven't stopped really since I started back in May, LOL!

Day 7 & I had to pull 4 eggs that I was 100% sure were blood rings. My first time candling so they were very distinct . I'm not horribly disappointed though since this is my first go at hatching so my findings could have been way worse. Ask mine are brown eggs so the couple I wasn't sure on I left on there for now. When do you think I should candle again? Is it 14?

Day 7 & I had to pull 4 eggs that I was 100% sure were blood rings. My first time candling so they were very distinct . I'm not horribly disappointed though since this is my first go at hatching so my findings could have been way worse. Ask mine are brown eggs so the couple I wasn't sure on I left on there for now. When do you think I should candle again? Is it 14?

I've seen 7, 14, and 18 (right before lockdown). I didn't toss anything until day 14 and even then I just did clears and very early quitters. As long as they don't smell bad or ooze anything it won't hurt to leave them for hatch.

Back
Top Bottom