Little Giant incubator piece of crap

Quote:
Do you have an air circulator in your LG?? We have had some trouble with ours, be we are green and want to continue to try- We feel air circulation will help-

When I set my LG up as a still air there was some temperature fluctuation. I bought a fan and added it and an egg turner just because I'm nutty that way and like extra stuff and so far the temp has been spot on at 100.1 with no variation. I think I have to agree with the people that said that it's all in how you set it up and how much time you spend getting the adjustments just right before you start hatching. So far I love mine and wouldn't trade it in for the more expensive model.

Quote:
We have tried twice to hatch- 2 out of 12 hatched the first time and zero hatched the second time- but I just read a great article on dry incubation... and now I realize we had too much moisture in the lock down- and the external humidity and downpour rains did affect our hatching..... Thanks for responding. We also have the egg turner, but I think we will be making an adjustment to our knob- and add our fan- then we should be more successful..
lol.png

Well all I have used are LG's...and both worked well...in fact,the first time I hatched I didn't have a clue what the humidity was at all...and got 9/13.The instructions I got from my friend were...yeah...just set it about 100,fill the water halfway...turn two times a day , and 3 days before they're due...fill the reservoirs.
They are touchy to room temp and humidity as well though...but for now it's all I can afford...with all the birds we've gotten in the last year,if I told DH we needed another bator? I'd be getting divorced!
lol.png

This current batch I have in there isn't as great but...it's my fault. I work 12 hour shifts and the temps here have been so drastic,I haven't been home enough to monitor enough.
I'd say if it's all you can afford...go for it! You still get to see some hatch and it's a blast
smile.png

Quote:
I tried that, but never got a one. If you are lucky enough to get more than you can handle, I will gladly take the extras. People never take the time to learn how to use their equipment, then bad mouth it.

I have to say maybe I got lucky but I have had great sucess with my LG with egg turner my thing is I just leave the red plugs out the entire 21 days for more air and I have not had any issues with temp spike EXCEPT once but that was because my 3 year old twised the nob but i had it back to normal quickly. I use mine a lot the past two years this season its in use for the first time but I have to say I have had great rate of hatching in this if the egg is fertile it hatches I even hatched a twin egg (by acident) in it. I will take everyones LG if they don't want them
smile.png

I also have success with my LG. I can't really keep enough more birds to justify buying an expensive incubator, but when we have more land you bet I'll invest in a "good" bator that holds a ton of eggs!
For now, every hatch has been as good as the eggs I put in it. When I put in old eggs I got a bad hatch, but the eggs weren't fresh I don't think it was the incubator's fault now was it??

My first hatch I got 17/20 and that was my first attempt! Right now I've got 19/20 developing in a still air LG (one egg quit early). I actually have used 2 still air LGs, same model and everything, except one is older - given to me by a friend. I accidentally let my chicks eat a hole in my first one that I got new. The thermostat and/or controller dial on the older model is definitely better

The only thing is that they are sensitive to ambient temperature changes in the room and they don't automatically adjust to compensate. If you have a stable ambient temp, it's pretty easy! The less adjusting you have to do, the better. Best to get it running at where you want before adding eggs.
There was a thread on here about adding window seal insulation to the edges to hold temperature better, and of course some people add fans and stuff to improve their chances. I personally add mason jars of 100*F water to add thermal mass as a heat sink. My temps have been pretty solid since I started this and it didn't cost me a thing. I read a thread about one person who bought a reptile thermostat and plugged the incubator into that to bypass the tricky built-in thermostat system and they said it worked beautifully! Course the thermostat upgrade cost more than the incubator itself. Some people like spending a little time and money tweaking with things, it is a hobby after all.
For those who want to set it and forget it you might be better served simply buying an expensive incubator.
hu.gif

To each his or her own!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom