Little girl fell in water

Chicks will be normally attracted to open water pans for the first 10 days, and may jump in and drown. I can’t see your setup, but it looks like a normal chick waterer in use. The problem could be with having ducklings in the same brooder. It is dangerous for the chicks to be getting wet, so I would separate them, and make sure there is plenty of room. They can be piling on and smothered if the ducks are bothering them, and they could be kept from food. Ducks need water to dip their beaks into, so it might be better to wait until the chicks are older and can get around well before having them together.
:goodpost:
Why do you recomend another box for the ducklings?
:thSANITARY REASONS! Never house ducklings with chicks. Ducklings are high maintenance and messy. The health of your chicks are in jeopardy as long as the are together in a close environment.
Also by placing marbles in the chicks water rim, will keep them from walking in the deep rim.

We can only tell you what we know from experience. I guess you will learn one way or another. Doesn't sound like you really want advice. Good luck.

You said the heater isn't enough, and I'm responding with my good experience using it. Not sure how that translates to "I don't want advice" but good luck to you too.

I've read other posts like this and the ducklings were responsible for wetting the chicks. They are water fowl and their down is different, so they won't get soaked like the chicks but it is their instinct to play in the water. You might not like the advice to separate them and yes it will cost money to set up a separate brooder for them but you risk losing your chicks if they continue to get wet.
X2

It's already pretty warm where I am. Nights only get down to around 70-75, and with the heater on they seem to be doing really well. With the research I've done if they aren't spread out everywhere, or huddled in a corner then the temperature is right.
That's how I do it too. I don't measure temp, just watch the chicks. I use a heat lamp or radiant heater, so have no experience with a space heater.

Duck poop is wet and nasty. Your chicks are walking around in duckling poop. :sick
Make sure you pick up some Corid for coccidious while you are buying a puppy pad.
thumb blue.gif

Please just turn the heat lamp on even tho you live in a hot ish area. I have lost two baby chicks since they got too cold.

It's pretty bright so of I don't turn it off it will mess with the chicks sense of day and night, and they might never go to sleep. They are doing well with the heat lamp on during the day, and the heater on at night. They even dried up over night with only the space heater and some ventilation available, and they're back to normal. I check on them about every couple of hours and will adjust the temperature if need be, so they're fine but thank you for your concern.

Easy solution to this whole thing. Either make a MHP...Momma Heating Pad... or buy a heating plate they can get under when they want more warmth. Either option is better than a heat lamp, which is dangerous, 'specially with a cardboard box

Back
Top Bottom