little songbird on road...

aww!
love.gif
I hope she makes it!
fl.gif

In an emergency, crush up dry dog or cat food with water until it's about the consistency of yogurt, and feed that. (Or you can mix it with the whey that you pour off the top of some plain yogurt). Make sure it's not too cool.

Poor baby.

She may want to eat a little better if the food is warm..cold food will kill them if its a baby. Your doing a good job!

Well bad news, the little bird died
sad.png
. I went on a quick run and when I got back he was not ok. So I sat with him in the field until he passed. I feel terrible. I did have an email with pictures out to Avian Haven in Freedom, ME and was told that it was a chipping sparrow nestling and (too late) that they can't digest sugar in water/not to feed them that. She said a high quality dog food is ok soaked. What he was drinking was a little hummingbird formula, a piece of dog food soaked and I added a little whey. It was ~ room temp. I'm going to call them and find out exactly what to do in a situation like this/what to feed them and I'll pass the info along. Not sure if chickens are ok eating sugar water or not.

AWWWWWWWW so sorry it didn't make it. We all would have done the same for it, don't feel bad. I've given sugar water to baby doves, and such. You did your best and helped it not become a road spot. At least it died in a safe dry environment with someone who cared.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom