Little Tykes Playhouse coop - ventilation question

Travilah

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Myersville, Maryland
I have seen the great threads about converting one of these playhouses, which I picked up on CL. I intend to build a platform so it is up off the ground a bit - easier on my back. But I have concerns about it proper insulation and ventilation. I saw the thread about the spray insulation.

But what about summer heat? For those of you who have used these plastic houses, did you provide additional ventilation openings besides the windows?

And any other little tricks you stumbled across in your conversion would be appreciated.

Last edited:
We have 2 playhouses that my DH turned into a "duplex". We have a roost running right down the middle of both of them which allows the chickens to move from one side to another. (they sit side by side with the windows lines up together) Since we are in Arizona we get some really hot weather in the summer. We mount a small fan at one end and turn in on "low" just to keep the air moving when it gets really hot. We also have a small mister at one end of the run for them to cool off under. Here are a few pictures of our setup. Hope it helps
56030_duplex.jpg

56030_duplex1.jpg

56030_mister.jpg

Let me know if you have any other question about our setup and I would be glad to help.......

How adorable ! Everyone has such great ideas and imagination and creativity !!! I love it , but since I have none of that , I am just borrowing everyone else's great ideas !

Can't wait to get started on setting my little playhouse up properly. These pictures were the thing that inspired me to go looking for an old forgotten playhouse.

I think there is PLENTY of ventilation in the playhouse I transmorgrified into a coop. Window openings with shutters on opposite sides, a big opening in the back for a table thingie, and several window openings in the front and in the front door. I worried about it being far too drafty when it was windy and rainy.

41679_playhouse-zorroonrampbest.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you did a great job. Being in So Cal, I know nothing about winter insulation, I only have to worry about our dry hot summers. If the door is left open, and the coops are shaded from the afternoon sun, its probably cool enough for summertime.

I wanted to use our old playhouse for my newest coop project, but I don't think its big enough for my 6 hens...and growing....

The one thing i can suggest is getting the spray in insulation, drill a hole in the side of the plastic and fill the hollow suckers up! *Thats me assuming it is like my old play house with hollow plastic walls.* That way you literally have insulated walls.
And for the windows I would get ply wood and cut them out in the shape of the windows so you can close them for the winter.
Thats just my suggestions,
Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom