Littlest one won't eat from feeder

lilpetunia

Hatching
5 Years
May 10, 2014
Diamond Creek, Victoria
Hi, a newbie here! I got 10 baby chicks a week ago and they are now almost 3 weeks old. All happy & healthy, however...

I have a little Australorp who has been smaller than the others from the beginning. She's now about 1/2 the size of the others. I've spent lots of time watching her and have noticed, she will never eat directly from the feeder, only what falls onto the ground from the other chicks. She will never ever put her little head into the circle and eat, even when there are no other chicks around - it's not as though she doesn't have a chance.

To try to get some food into her I have started sprinkling extra food around the feeder on the ground and she goes crazy for it - so she is hungry. Is she scared of the feeder or is it a pecking order issue? Will she still need her feed sprinkled on the floor when they're big chickens out in the coop? Thanks for your thoughts & help
smile.png

Keep food on the floor for her and see if she picks up weight. How big is your feeder? Add a second feeder or get one with more space for eating. Is she drinking okay? Is her beak normal? Good luck! Mary

Hi, a newbie here! I got 10 baby chicks a week ago and they are now almost 3 weeks old. All happy & healthy, however...

I have a little Australorp who has been smaller than the others from the beginning. She's now about 1/2 the size of the others. I've spent lots of time watching her and have noticed, she will never eat directly from the feeder, only what falls onto the ground from the other chicks. She will never ever put her little head into the circle and eat, even when there are no other chicks around - it's not as though she doesn't have a chance.

To try to get some food into her I have started sprinkling extra food around the feeder on the ground and she goes crazy for it - so she is hungry. Is she scared of the feeder or is it a pecking order issue? Will she still need her feed sprinkled on the floor when they're big chickens out in the coop? Thanks for your thoughts & help
smile.png
Some chicks just fail to thrive and if they continue to be weaker than the others, typically don't live to adulthood. In her case, maybe she doesn't see very well???

Thanks so much for your wisdom.

Her beak is fine & she is drinking really well. I'll have to just try to keep some feed on the ground for her.

I'm sure she'll be ok as she's a feisty little thing...just might need a little extra attention!

Back
Top Bottom