Live trap it is.

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
Yes it's a cat. No doubt about it. It's a white and brown cat named Cesar. The house where it comes from denies having a cat. My county's animal control won't supply traps, and they only came out ONCE and didn't do anything because they didn't see it. Why didn't they see it? Because cesar only comes around at night.

There are no raccoons, pumas, minks, whatevers, where I live. And the cat was in the coop tonight. Also I am missing a young cockerell... It already killed a hen this week, I suppose the hen was too heavy to drag away, and left it in a corner of the laying area. It scarred a few hens and a roo or two. It's name is Cesar because I heard a lady call it from the house where it comes from.

I ordered a BB pistol, 520 fps, but this cat is too fast. Now, the shooting is a last resort, that and something else.

I must know... IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN SPRAY AROUND MY YARD TO DETER THIS CAT???? I know that cats have a good sense of smell and maybe a certain scent would keep it away?
I have asked this question before on here but no one ever answered it
hmm.png

*I'm going with the trap. Also I'll be putting signs up around my street saying stuff about other neighbors with livestock and.. Er something like "Livestock owners in area. Please keep an eye on your cat/dog!" and "thank you" in cursive.

Last edited:
Evil neighbors. They should at least admit the cat belongs to them. I'm not sure about scents, but I know they sell Have a Heart traps at certain garden/hardware stores, you may want to try that...or maybe order online since AC won't help you. You might find other feline deterrents at these stores too. If you go with the trap and capture the cat, go a county or two over and hope Caesar finds a new home at an animal shelter, or find a cat rescue organization.

I'm sorry about your chicken, I hope all will be well
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Seems to me I heard something about mothballs repelling animals. But if a cat can get in with your chickens, so can a coon or a possum, and yes they live in cities. You need to secure the coop pronto!

Your BB pistol @ 520 fps will not kill that cat in any kind of humane fashion. BB's are inefficient at killing small birds let alone a cat. Cats are tough creatures that require LOTS of killing. There is a reason for the old saying, "cats have 9 lives".
Even if you live trap this cat with the intent to kill, I would strongly recommend that you dispatch it in another manner. That is the kind of thing that will stick with you.

Cats are easy to live trap ONCE, maybe twice if they're REALLY hungry. TSC sometimes sells small raccoon sized traps for $20, though normal price is around $45 if I remember correctly. Tuna, sardines, cat food, etc. easy to bait. I shot one cat when 3 chicks disappeared. You need a .22 instead of a BB gun. I have a Savage bolt action rifle, it's about $100-120, and it's really quiet. One headshot after dark and the neighbors won't even know what they heard, IF they heard anything (if they are inside I doubt they would even hear it at all). I also have a .22 revolver that'll make your ears ring a little with the same ammo, so a rifle is definitely the way to go for stealth.

If the cat can get in though, your coop is NOT secure. Is only a matter of time till something worse gets in. Fortify your coop if you plan on keeping chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom