Lives lost per unit of meat eaten

All of these types of easy comparisons are utter nonsense. Most of these types of graphs are used to enforce an existing viewpoint, and the data are massaged to fit the view. IMO

All production of food kills animals, even if it is the harvesting of plants. Nobody evacuates the fields when the combine comes through, pesticides are regularly used, and all grain elevators have rats and mice. In terms of food animals, none of them would exist if they were not being raised for food. There are no wild cows, pig, goats, chickens, horses or sheep. In some cases, there are near wild relatives but most humans eat domesticated animals.

If you really want to count the costs of food production and plants vs animals or eggs vs. meat; you need to look at total production costs: amount of fertilizer, and pesticides used to harvest the food (meat using more than the direct eating of plants), amount of waste generated, how the waste is disposed of, cost of shipping, including environmental costs; and other associated costs of production. A home dairy cow and a backyard flock of chickens, with the composted waste going onto the veggie garden is an entire world different from a large scale hog farm producing as much waste as a small city, but without the sewage treatment plant; or from commercially grown tomatoes shipped halfway across the country. This is a hugely complex issue, and reducing it to someone's idea of "lives lost" is silly.

Quote:
Don't stop, interesting topic. Why does the "universe" give a crap if humans inhabit it or not? I've never been able to figure out why we matter.

Humans seem to me to have evolved (or been created) to destroy that which sustains them (us). Folks like me worry about the balance in their investment portfolio but in another hundred years our ancestors may be mostly concerned with where they can dig out a root to eat, or a leaf or an earthworm.

Humans are created by God and put in a place of dominion over animals. That does not mean we should be cruel to them. We are stewards of the earth and all that is within. We matter because we are created in the image of God.

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't stop, interesting topic. Why does the "universe" give a crap if humans inhabit it or not? I've never been able to figure out why we matter.

Humans seem to me to have evolved (or been created) to destroy that which sustains them (us). Folks like me worry about the balance in their investment portfolio but in another hundred years our ancestors may be mostly concerned with where they can dig out a root to eat, or a leaf or an earthworm.

Humans were created by God and put in a place of dominion over animals. That does not mean we should be cruel to them. We are stewards of the earth and all that is within. We matter because we are created in the image of God.

I wasnt created in God's image... he'd be pretty ugly then.
lol.png

Now Jesus, he looked okay, kinda like a hippie...
thumbsup.gif

Besides all that, yes, i agree, we should not be cruel to animals. But that has nothing to do with religion.... Its just simple HUMAN compassion.
hu.gif

Quote:
Yes and no. In a commercial processing plant, just about everthing gets used. Some of it in ways you would never imagine. Just because it doesn't end up on your plate in a recognizeable fashion does not mean it isn't used. That said, there is an awful amount of waste on all levels of production of everything in this country. Not just food.

And I'd like to see how many lives were created in the making of a gallon of milk, if they did a study on goats milk. Some goats have three, four or even five kids, maybe a couple times a year, or three times in two years. That's a lot of "lives" that were created in the making of that gallon of milke. Is that a good thing? A bad thing? What if those "lives" go on to produce more lives, and the males mostly end up as meat. Is that a good thing? A bad thing? To me it is totally irrelevant. How many "lives" are lost when a farmer tills an acre of ground? How many field mice and bunnies, snakes and spiders, qauil, baby deer get plowed under to make a bushel of wheat? Go ahead and put that in your calculator while you are at it.

Quote:
Humans were created by God and put in a place of dominion over animals. That does not mean we should be cruel to them. We are stewards of the earth and all that is within. We matter because we are created in the image of God.

I wasnt created in God's image... he'd be pretty ugly then.
lol.png

Now Jesus, he looked okay, kinda like a hippie...
thumbsup.gif

Besides all that, yes, i agree, we should not be cruel to animals. But that has nothing to do with religion.... Its just simple HUMAN compassion.
hu.gif

thumbsup.gif

Thanks for posting that article. I've been a vegetarian for 35 years. I don't eat much dairy overall, but I do eat a little cheese now and then. Oh, and yogurt. I had no idea that dairy cows were killed so early in their lives. Not a fun fact, but I appreciate the awareness.

Yay Chicks! :

Thanks for posting that article. I've been a vegetarian for 35 years. I don't eat much dairy overall, but I do eat a little cheese now and then. Oh, and yogurt. I had no idea that dairy cows were killed so early in their lives. Not a fun fact, but I appreciate the awareness.

I have to comment on the dairy cow life span of 3 - 5. Those figures only apply to the mass market mega confinement dairy. Production here: The majority of herds are under 300 and nothing unusual to see cows in their teens on the milking line and still producing well. So I have to say the figures are selective in their nature on this one.​

Quote:
Yes and no. In a commercial processing plant, just about everthing gets used. Some of it in ways you would never imagine. Just because it doesn't end up on your plate in a recognizeable fashion does not mean it isn't used. That said, there is an awful amount of waste on all levels of production of everything in this country. Not just food.

Yeah I have not much experience with the topic, but I do know that my agriculture teacher did tell all of my class that those "Amazing" hotdogs, aren't so amazing, when made, turkey bones, chicken bones, and beaks and feet, are minced and made into hotdogs. Most of us don't know this nasty little secret about hotdogs. I used to Love them too, I still eat them, really I think if I am going to eat hotdogs, I am eating excess of an animal, and that's not bad, it makes me not as wasteful. Just my Brains thrown at ya.

Back
Top Bottom