livestock guardian dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by justmom, Jan 11, 2013.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Keep them out of scraps until they are a full year old at least. Size and breeding are all for not if you ruin them by having them whipped by a predator they are not ready to handle. Despite all the bluster, they lack the mentality and physical abilities that will be developed over the next year and a half or so. Raccoon kittens and opossums are OK but not coyotes for such young dogs to engage.

2. floridabelle

floridabelle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    South West Florida
    I know I'm going to stir up a giant can of worms with what I'm going to say but oh well. I have an apbt who is an amazing poultry guardian. He always has them in his sight and I believe he enjoys their company. He sunbathes near them while they're free ranging and when they get too far away he moves closer then resumes sunbatheing. I know for a FACT 150% that if he smelt, saw, or heard a predator (big or small) he wouldn'thesitate to defend them. And I can say with such certainty because he is a hunting dog. My dog is a poultry guardian, a hunter, and a family dog. Anyone who has bad things to say about apbt's can shove it.

3. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Oh, I know. This isn't my first rodeo. I go out to give the dogs backup when I hear the danger bark.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What is apbt?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

apbt = American Pit Bull Terrier

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Ty

7. tankerman

tankerman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    Sonoma county
    My Coop
    Shepherds, Great Pyrenees are very active dogs. They're used for herding four legged animals, which are also very active.

Chickens do not range very far, our self regulate their foraging area to about 3/4 acre.

Very active dogs ill get very bored keeping an eye on chickens.

Mastiffs are a better fit.
    Our's loves to lazily sit in the middle of all her birds.
    She weighs 150lbs.

8. tankerman

tankerman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    Sonoma county
    My Coop
    Pitbull

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] I got 4 here and unless there is a predator they are laying around waiting , they would make great couch potato's if i need one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    My two GP sleep a lot too, lol. They are most playful in the early morning and the hour just before dark but pretty much passed out during broad daylight. Wide awake all night...I kind of wonder when someone is going to call Animal Control about the dogs barking at 3am...not that AC would come out here...

ETA: GPs are NOT herding dogs. They are guardian dogs. Huge, huge difference. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/greatpyrenees.htm

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by