Livestock guardian dogs

Pics
My dogs are going to earn their keep...the other night, I could hear them going up and down the fenceline bordering the woods, barking a very aggressive bark. Something was out there, and even though they are not quite 6 months old, they were defending their property. It apparently thought better of venturing out of the woods and went away, as the dogs settled down around midnight and didn't make another sound until morning.

A couple nights before that, one of the dumb roosters decided he was going to camp out and not go in the coop at dark. When I grabbed him, he squawked very loudly. The dogs boiled around the corner of the house (they hang out on the deck where they can see out over the back pastures and most of the coops), screaming for blood and only laid off when they realized it was me and not something killing the rooster.

And...I recently learned we have coyotes in our immediate area. I'm so glad I got two dogs...I was only going to get one. But now, with two GPs, I feel better about my stock being safe knowing we have a bold pack of coyotes out there, better about my dogs' safety as a team, and better knowing I have very large dogs bred to handle such predators. I hope they never have to though.
Keep them out of scraps until they are a full year old at least. Size and breeding are all for not if you ruin them by having them whipped by a predator they are not ready to handle. Despite all the bluster, they lack the mentality and physical abilities that will be developed over the next year and a half or so. Raccoon kittens and opossums are OK but not coyotes for such young dogs to engage.

I know I'm going to stir up a giant can of worms with what I'm going to say but oh well. I have an apbt who is an amazing poultry guardian. He always has them in his sight and I believe he enjoys their company. He sunbathes near them while they're free ranging and when they get too far away he moves closer then resumes sunbatheing. I know for a FACT 150% that if he smelt, saw, or heard a predator (big or small) he wouldn'thesitate to defend them. And I can say with such certainty because he is a hunting dog. My dog is a poultry guardian, a hunter, and a family dog. Anyone who has bad things to say about apbt's can shove it.

Keep them out of scraps until they are a full year old at least.  Size and breeding are all for not if you ruin them by having them whipped by a predator they are not ready to handle.  Despite all the bluster, they lack the mentality and physical abilities that will be developed over the next year and a half or so.  Raccoon kittens and opossums are OK but not coyotes for such young dogs to engage.

Oh, I know. This isn't my first rodeo. I go out to give the dogs backup when I hear the danger bark.

Shepherds, Great Pyrenees are very active dogs. They're used for herding four legged animals, which are also very active.

Chickens do not range very far, our self regulate their foraging area to about 3/4 acre.

Very active dogs ill get very bored keeping an eye on chickens.

Mastiffs are a better fit.
Our's loves to lazily sit in the middle of all her birds.
She weighs 150lbs.

Shepherds, Great Pyrenees are very active dogs. They're used for herding four legged animals, which are also very active.

Chickens do not range very far, our self regulate their foraging area to about 3/4 acre.

Very active dogs ill get very bored keeping an eye on chickens.

Mastiffs are a better fit.
Our's loves to lazily sit in the middle of all her birds.
She weighs 150lbs.
ep.gif
I got 4 here and unless there is a predator they are laying around waiting , they would make great couch potato's if i need one

My two GP sleep a lot too, lol. They are most playful in the early morning and the hour just before dark but pretty much passed out during broad daylight. Wide awake all night...I kind of wonder when someone is going to call Animal Control about the dogs barking at 3am...not that AC would come out here...

ETA: GPs are NOT herding dogs. They are guardian dogs. Huge, huge difference. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/greatpyrenees.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom