Lizard Hurl

petertor

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 2, 2012
We have had backyard chickens now for about 3 years. I don't know what has been more fun--the wonderful eggs or chillin' with the girls. We currently have five Black Jersey Giants and a Polish Lacewing. All regular producers. I confess to feeding them treats every other day: tomatoes (their favorite), watermelon, corn on the cob, most leafy produce. I also feed them giant mealworms, one at a time to each of the girls which allows me to see the social interactions between them all.

The most fun by far is a ritual that I have developed but have not heard of before, the "Lizard Hurl". I catch a blue belly lizard with a lasso made of a wild oat stalk (or 2 lb. test monofilament). I then toss the lizard into the yard and watch the girls rush to catch the lizard and then chase the winner around the yard. The winner has no time to savor her meal, so she usually snaps off a piece (a leg usually) and leaves the remainder to the rest of the flock. Before you know it, each of the girls has a piece to munch on and I usually don't hang around for the finale.

One think for sure, the girls really like to share a lizard from time to time, and the show they put on when they have to sort out who gets what is a sight to see.

At one "Lizard Hurl" per week, the lizard population is holding steady, and I remain immensely entertained. As luck would have it, there were no blue bellies out in the yard this afternoon, so I will need to wait until later today or next week to take a picture of them in action.

Don't report me to PETA, please.
yippiechickie.gif

- petertor

Haha, that's so funny! I feed my chickens house geckos sometimes; they are all over the place here. Usually the tail falls off when I catch them, so there's often two pieces, but of course the only good one is the one that someone else has XD

Back
Top Bottom