Local Coop Maker Wanted

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by terris, Nov 21, 2010.

1. terris

terris Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    PA
    I am seriously thinking about investing in plans for the ConvertiCoop. However, I do not have a table saw, miter saw or the know how to use tools in general. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find someone to make this coop who is local to Gettysburg, PA or within 2 hours drive?

I appreciate your help. I have wanted chickens for years but the coop issue always stops me cold. My neighbors would never allow me to have a shack type deal or I would have gone that route years ago.

2. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    you live in PA, isn't that 'Amish Country'? I'd imagine you could find just a shed and convert it into a chicken coop with minimal effort. They might even be willing to do it for you.

3. terris

Nov 21, 2010
    PA
    It might not be a bad idea if the Amish did not charge 3 times what everyone charges for their homemade woodworkings. The shed idea has me thinking though. Hmmm. Has anyone else done this? I really have no idea how to do anything crafty. I need plans. Thanks.

4. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
  5. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Pennsylvania girl here agreeing that the Amish built stuff is UBER-EXPENSIVE. How many birds do you want? I started with a free doghouse from craigslist, prettied it up a bit, slapped on a run and it's worked perfectly for my girls. I'm looking to get some more birds, so in my hiking travels one day, came across an abandoned playhouse, knocked, asked, and it's currently sitting in my driveway, waiting to be hauled to the back yard. So there are two morals to this story....one is that there are free sheds, playhouses and dog houses everywhere....just keep your eye open. Two is that soon I'm going to have a very nice insulated doghouse up for grabs. I'm about an hour from Gettysburg. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The old coop

[​IMG]
    The new coop

6. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    msbear is in sharpsburg md, that's not to far from you, made me a chicken coop and a pigeon loft

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Dan, thanks for looking out [​IMG]

Terris, we are located in Sharpsburg, MD. and have been building coops for BYC members for a couple years now. We also deliver for 75 cents a mile. Right now we're having a Christmas special. 25% off your entire purchase price.

We don't have any finished coops ready as we build to order... hubby just does it on his spare time. Let me know if I can help.

http://designercoops.blogspot.com/

8. terris

Nov 21, 2010
    PA
    Hi,

You have nice coops but what I need is the converticoop tractor see http://catawbacoops.com/ I was hoping to do this for around 175 per the company's specs. If I can get the miter work done and table saw cuts done on a barter for high end bearded dragons or lovebirds, canaries or parrotlets, I can do it. You can check out my website to see the dragons and the going rates at www.fireandicedragons.com. I'm hoping someone will please help.
    I am disabled with a disabled son and it's tough to get anything like this done. The chickens bring us such joy. We only wanted 3 which we can handle no worries. Thanks to all.

9. CountryFried

CountryFried Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    Are you planning to move the Converticoop? I ask because I built it, and it is pretty heavy, though it is easily moved by two adults, but if you have any muscle weaknesses or such, you will find it hard, if not impossible, to move.

I like the Converticoop, and I would recommend it for 3 birds, but not as a movable tractor, and honestly, depending on your disabilities, I wouldn't recommend it at all. If you do build it, I would definitely cut the long sides in half, as they are heavy and cumbersome to get in place.

I would also say not to make the sides out of treated wood, as mine have warped terribly in the sun and fall off. We had to put a row of nails under them to catch them when they fall. I can't swear it wouldn't be a problem with untreated pine, but I KNOW it's a problem with treated wood.

You can get a miter saw for under $100 at Lowe's or Home Depot, and usually you can get them to cut the plywood for you, which is about all you need a table saw for.

If you were able to purchase a miter saw and a sabre/jig saw, you can build it completely yourself, and just cut the plywood with the jigsaw. You will need a jigsaw to cut the plywood cut-outs for the legs, even if you have the lumber store cut the big sheet for you.

I really like my Converticoop, it looks really nice. I do have some complaints about the person who wrote the plans. If you make it, DO NOT follow the cut list, cut the wood as you go, because the measurements he gives in the cut list are NOT the same as you will find in the steps as you begin putting it together. I emailed him some questions over a month ago, and he hasn't bothered to respond, which I find to be poor customer service.

I was able to build mine for well under the $175. Definitely use screws and not nails to put it together.

10. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

do look at ALL the small coops and tractors under the byc coop section, one person uses one of those lil waist height rubbermaid storage sheds commercially available at home improvement stores and some fencing and a little creativity. You dont need fancy power tools, sure, they make things simpler, but with a tap more sweat and some borrowed ideas, u can do anything, remeber..... chickens dont care if its "ugly" and zip ties are ur friend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by