Local... Virginia... Is there a way to find chicks/ducks/geese that are local to me?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LondonMcKNight, Feb 18, 2015.

1. LondonMcKNight

LondonMcKNight Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Gordonsville, Virginia
    Looking for a farm in VIRGINIA!

I've found several places online to purchase chicks/ducks/geese, but the first issues is that most of them require that I purchase a LARGE QUANTITY, and the second issue is the SHIPPING COST in insane! I have a small flock that I intended to raise as pets & for eggs. I would LOVE to add:
    one Khaki Campbell duck, (as I already have one)...

***2 Cayuga ducklings...
    ***A few frizzle chicks, (hopefully one of each color; black/red/white)...

***A Sebastopol goose, a saddleback would be my dream, (I'd love to have two but, I can't afford to spend $100+ it would cost for two). I wonder if a single goose would be happy with just the chickens and ducks as friends, or if it would be cruel to the goose to be the only one??? I wanted to add add the goose for protection, so I wasn't concerned about the sex of the Sebastopol, but then someone told me that if I had a male it would try to mate with the ducks and possibly injure or even kill them???

THANKS for any help anyone can offer!! Cheers ~London

[​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    What you can do is check breeder directories for the birds and go to shows to meet breeders you're going to want to do this especially if you are eyeing sebastapools. I'm sure if the goose was in a flock full of chickens and ducks it'd be fine, If you have something like facebook there are several Virginia poultry groups that you can look at.
    I doubt you'll have problems finding Khaki Campbell ducks as they are popular. Good luck on finding some birds. Also have you looked on Holderead's? I can just go pick up two (which is the minimum order) but I don't know shipping costs or minimum birds.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. LondonMcKNight

LondonMcKNight Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Gordonsville, Virginia
    Twisted, thanks for your suggestions, but still NO LUCK!!! Bah...=( This is making me quite sad...=( =( =(
    ~L

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello from a fellow Virginian! You could ask people on the Virginia thread: Virginia

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Many feed stores will carry birds in the spring, ducks/chicks at least, some will let you do special orders from the hatchery they are using. You might want to check on the goose forum for keeping a single goose in a mixed flock https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/47/geese

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would suggest if you can find ONE, just get a female goose - a male will go after your other poultry and damage them or worse, trying to breed them - same with a male duck.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock"

I hope you can find the breeds you're looking for! I've never kept waterfowl myself, but have always liked geese especially.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Good luck finding small, well-priced quantities of the birds you're looking for! They're all wonderful breeds. [​IMG]

I would recommend posting any duck/geese questions that you have in their respective forum sections: Ducks, Geese.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by