Local... Virginia... Is there a way to find chicks/ducks/geese that are local to me?

LondonMcKNight

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2015
Gordonsville, Virginia
Looking for a farm in VIRGINIA!

I've found several places online to purchase chicks/ducks/geese, but the first issues is that most of them require that I purchase a LARGE QUANTITY, and the second issue is the SHIPPING COST in insane! I have a small flock that I intended to raise as pets & for eggs. I would LOVE to add:
one Khaki Campbell duck, (as I already have one)...

***2 Cayuga ducklings...
***A few frizzle chicks, (hopefully one of each color; black/red/white)...

***A Sebastopol goose, a saddleback would be my dream, (I'd love to have two but, I can't afford to spend $100+ it would cost for two). I wonder if a single goose would be happy with just the chickens and ducks as friends, or if it would be cruel to the goose to be the only one??? I wanted to add add the goose for protection, so I wasn't concerned about the sex of the Sebastopol, but then someone told me that if I had a male it would try to mate with the ducks and possibly injure or even kill them???

THANKS for any help anyone can offer!! Cheers ~London

What you can do is check breeder directories for the birds and go to shows to meet breeders you're going to want to do this especially if you are eyeing sebastapools. I'm sure if the goose was in a flock full of chickens and ducks it'd be fine, If you have something like facebook there are several Virginia poultry groups that you can look at.
I doubt you'll have problems finding Khaki Campbell ducks as they are popular. Good luck on finding some birds. Also have you looked on Holderead's? I can just go pick up two (which is the minimum order) but I don't know shipping costs or minimum birds.

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Many feed stores will carry birds in the spring, ducks/chicks at least, some will let you do special orders from the hatchery they are using. You might want to check on the goose forum for keeping a single goose in a mixed flock https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/47/geese

I would suggest if you can find ONE, just get a female goose - a male will go after your other poultry and damage them or worse, trying to breed them - same with a male duck.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock"

I hope you can find the breeds you're looking for! I've never kept waterfowl myself, but have always liked geese especially.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

Good luck finding small, well-priced quantities of the birds you're looking for! They're all wonderful breeds.
smile.png

I would recommend posting any duck/geese questions that you have in their respective forum sections: Ducks, Geese.

Back
Top Bottom