Locating No Kill Hen Farms In The US

IAmTheEggMan2

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2020
I live in New York and I’m on a quest, a quest to put together a comprehensive list of no kill hen farms that sell their eggs in the US. I found a place in upstate New York near me but I’d like to find others around the country and be able to share that information with others. Any ideas of where/how to start (of course, I've already found some folks on this site but I'm looking for sources that are a little more comprehensive)?

I really doubt that anyone beyond hobby farms are going to meet that criteria. If they are a true business only farm keeping hen past laying age is going to literally eat into their profit margins. Unless they adopt out the older girls.
In general, that's true, but it's possible. I've already found small farms (under 100 birds) that allow their hens to live out their lives on their property in sheltered spaces. And you're right, adoption is an option too. As one owner said with their older hens, "they've more than payed for themselves and their up keep is minimal". In a country of 330 million people, I'll find more. These farms will never compete with big business but they're motivated from the heart first and not the wallet and these days there are thousands of people who will support that. I personally know dozens, do the math. I'm just trying to create a resource.

Though “no kill” farms are a nice thought, those hens are still bought as sexed pullets, meaning that the sexed cockerels were killed as chicks.
True but I can't show compassion to those male chicks that have died but I can for the hens that are living. You start where you are...and maybe one day... :)

I live in New York and I’m on a quest, a quest to put together a comprehensive list of no kill hen farms that sell their eggs in the US. I found a place in upstate New York near me but I’d like to find others around the country and be able to share that information with others. Any ideas of where/how to start (of course, I've already found some folks on this site but I'm looking for sources that are a little more comprehensive)?
In general, that's true, but it's possible. I've already found small farms (under 100 birds) that allow their hens to live out their lives on their property in sheltered spaces. And you're right, adoption is an option too. As one owner said with their older hens, "they've more than payed for themselves and their up keep is minimal". In a country of 330 million people, I'll find more. These farms will never compete with big business but they're motivated from the heart first and not the wallet and these days there are thousands of people who will support that. I personally know dozens, do the math. I'm just trying to create a resource.
Though “no kill” farms are a nice thought, those hens are still bought as sexed pullets, meaning that the sexed cockerels were killed as chicks.

I think it is a great idea! For several reasons. First, these birds are not machines and they should be able to live a happy life. Second, if this list is compiled and people use it to procure their eggs it will drive down the demand for less ethically sourced eggs. Third, it will over a very long and protracted period get us all to where we want to be. A place where humans worry more about their actions and less about the wad of bills in their pocket. I congratulate you on your effort. My previous post was to point out that any business is not going to adhere to this practice. I raise my own chickens and eat their eggs my neighbors eat my eggs as well. This means that I am reducing the market for eggs by a few dozen a week. If there were more like me (and I am sure there are) the demand for eggs is going down. If there is a concerted effort to do this than the egg demand would diminish greatly and that means less battery hens living a horrible life. The real question is how to get our eggs into cities where the neighbor doesn’t raise chickens. The problem there is this. Even if the majority of people in a city want no kill eggs the FDA certification to put them in stores is cost prohibitive and no kill egg production doesn’t lend itself to this form of production. So my question to the OP is how do we fix this? Or how do we clear this hurdle.
Obviously not the OP but interested in this subject. I remember a law passed in California that all laying hens had to have a measly one sf of cage space or the eggs wouldn't be allowed to enter the CA commercial egg market and there was an uproar from the battery companies. One measly sf per hen. Forgive if my fuzzy memory is recalling this incorrectly. But how greedy and miserly are the companies who feel they have a right to deprive a sentient being space to turn around. How our food industry treats animals is nothing short of disgusting and shameful. I'll leave health and environmental concerns out of this.
That said, you answered a good part of your question when you mention you sell eggs. I sell eggs too. My hens have a lot of space and they are loved. This year the chicken market has gone crazy with people buying pullets and dedicating space in their backyards to pet chickens that provide eggs for their families. It took a pandemic to create the awareness that our food supply is not safe and also the awareness that chickens are amazing, lovable creatures. How do we clear this hurdle? Let's put them out of business. You, me and the rest of us .

Back
Top Bottom