Locating No Kill Hen Farms In The US

Obviously not the OP but interested in this subject. I remember a law passed in California that all laying hens had to have a measly one sf of cage space or the eggs wouldn't be allowed to enter the CA commercial egg market and there was an uproar from the battery companies. One measly sf per hen. Forgive if my fuzzy memory is recalling this incorrectly. But how greedy and miserly are the companies who feel they have a right to deprive a sentient being space to turn around. How our food industry treats animals is nothing short of disgusting and shameful. I'll leave health and environmental concerns out of this.
That said, you answered a good part of your question when you mention you sell eggs. I sell eggs too. My hens have a lot of space and they are loved. This year the chicken market has gone crazy with people buying pullets and dedicating space in their backyards to pet chickens that provide eggs for their families. It took a pandemic to create the awareness that our food supply is not safe and also the awareness that chickens are amazing, lovable creatures. How do we clear this hurdle? Let's put them out of business. You, me and the rest of us .
I agree wholeheartedly! But I think it is safe to say that even if every member of BYC and all those hobby farmers and just chicken lovers out there tried the biggest hurdle is how do you get our eggs to Broadway or Rodeo Avenue or whatever fancy zip code comes to mind. One just objectively speaking our eggs taste better! I challenge anyone to do a blind taste test and tell me that battery hen eggs bought from Walmart tastes as good as an egg laid this morning in my coop! But this is how change starts a few crazy people looking at something and saying “Really? There has to be a better way.” I am far from an expert. The only reason my family finally gave into my chicken raising idea is because of the pandemic but now my wife has ducks and we bought a country home. But this is how we get somewhere and put the cold hearted dollars before ethics companies out of business.

As an aside. Not to sound crazy but does anyone else think that as more people raise chickens that the eggs inc. people will try to push stricter ordinances about raising chickens?

I agree wholeheartedly! But I think it is safe to say that even if every member of BYC and all those hobby farmers and just chicken lovers out there tried the biggest hurdle is how do you get our eggs to Broadway or Rodeo Avenue or whatever fancy zip code comes to mind.
Local economy. I don't live anywhere near those zip codes. I hope those people are fortunate enough to either raise their own chickens or make friends with their local humane farmers.

Is it your goal to compile then dessiminate this list to those wishing to purchase ethically farmed eggs?
Because in that case a list of local small farms and hobby farms may be just as ethical as no kill factories. It also may help out with a sense of local sustainability. Either way it’s a great idea!
Local no kill egg farms for sure! Under 100 birds most likely. Child's play compared to the industrial machine but hopefully strength in numbers. I have no delusions thinking I'll find a no kill factory. That's unlikely.

Welcome To BYC!

Do you have a link to your blog or website? Maybe those that have such a farm could contact you to be put on a list.
I'm at the beginning of my journey. Doing research and slowly pinning farms on a dedicated Google map. There's so much work to be done. Maybe I'll attract some volunteers, that could work. I also work full time and handle my senior mom's affairs in an AL facility.

Local economy. I don't live anywhere near those zip codes. I hope those people are fortunate enough to either raise their own chickens or make friends with their local humane farmers.
I'm getting ahead of myself, local no kill farm producers first, but ANYTHING can be shipped these days for a price. But seriously, I'd like to establish the network first and keep it local (maybe within 100 miles of no kill farm xyz). Mind you, these ideas are all growing/shifting as I hear more from great communities like this. Ideas are..."hatching". 😄 Hey, at one point, being "vegan" got nothing but belly laughs then a demand for such products emerged and the supply arose in tandem.

I'm getting ahead of myself, local no kill farm producers first, but ANYTHING can be shipped these days for a price. But seriously, I'd like to establish the network first and keep it local (maybe within 100 miles of no kill farm xyz). Mind you, these ideas are all growing/shifting as I hear more from great communities like this. Ideas are..."hatching". 😄 Hey, at one point, being "vegan" got nothing but belly laughs then a demand for such products emerged and the supply arose in tandem.
And by the way, I live near Broadway (NYC) and the no kill eggs I buy at the local green market sell out at $12.00/dozen.

this place is not a farm they are like a Non-profit sanctuary the owner is paralyzed and her family sells the eggs from their hens they also take unwanted chickens they have horses, pheasants, chickens, turkeys, goats, lamas, pigeons, etc. they are located in Sebastian Florida
with whatever money they make is how they feed all their animals, the name is La Porte Farms

Edit: They do NOT kill their animals my grandmothers neighbor gave her some meat chickens and she got in trouble with the association so they gave them to me but I can't care for them and I brought them to that place and I visit them every month , and they told us that they don't kill their animals

this place is not a farm they are like a Non-profit sanctuary the owner is paralyzed and her family sells the eggs from their hens they also take unwanted chickens they have horses, pheasants, chickens, turkeys, goats, lamas, pigeons, etc. they are located in Sebastian Florida
with whatever money they make is how they feed all their animals, the name is La Porte Farms

Edit: They do NOT kill their animals my grandmothers neighbor gave her some meat chickens and she got in trouble with the association so they gave them to me but I can't care for them and I brought them to that place and I visit them every month , and they told us that they don't kill their animals
They don't kill their hens and they sell their eggs. Sounds like a place I should know about. I'll check out the link. Thank you for this!

Back
Top Bottom