Lock down humidity help

# 4 is here!! Yeah. Wow - some sleep deprivation but thrilled with the results.

Hey WVduckchick...

I've posted this on a few threads and no one will answer - any thoughts on this?

We are attempting to breed some sizzles for our own enjoyment - no to sell, not to show - just to enjoy as hobbyists.

Our daddy bird is a show silkie. The mom is a bantam frizzled cochin. They've had two clutches. The first one resulted in one hatch - a beautiful pullet - partridge with black skin, blue ear lobes and flat feathered, 5 toes.

The second clutch had 5 chicks - 4 cockerels and 1 pullet. We've rehomed 2 cockerels. They are three months old. We are keeping the pullet of course. Of the two cockerels, both are white and the pullet is black, one cockerel is sweeter than spice and flat feathered. The other one is frizzled feathered, gorgeous, but showing signs of dominance and aggression. Of course we wanted to keep the frizzle feathered but are now torn. Which of the two should we keep for our project. They are also going to be pets. We were planning on keeping the frizzle feathered, but now just don't know what to do.

Thank you for your help!

# 4 is here!!  Yeah.    Wow - some sleep deprivation but thrilled with the results.

Hey WVduckchick...

I've posted this on a few threads and no one will answer - any thoughts on this?

We are attempting to breed some sizzles for our own enjoyment - no to sell, not to show - just to enjoy as hobbyists.

Our daddy bird is a show silkie.  The mom is a bantam frizzled cochin.   They've had two clutches.   The first one resulted in one hatch - a beautiful pullet - partridge with black skin, blue ear lobes and flat feathered, 5 toes.

The second clutch had 5 chicks - 4 cockerels and 1 pullet.    We've rehomed 2 cockerels.   They are three months old.   We are keeping the pullet of course.   Of the two cockerels, both are white and the pullet is black, one cockerel is sweeter than spice and flat feathered.   The other one is frizzled feathered, gorgeous, but showing signs of dominance and aggression.   Of course we wanted to keep the frizzle feathered but are now torn.    Which of the two should we keep for our project.  They are also going to be pets.   We were planning on keeping the frizzle feathered, but now just don't know what to do.

Thank you for your help!

:weee yeah for #4! Congrats on a great hatch! And a few day stagger to boot! Awesome!

I saw that question, and it's a toughie. Is the aggression only toward the other rooster? Could you separate the smooth and see if the frizzle calms down? He might be fine without the other. Or he could become a worse jerk.

I have a male frizzle that makes darling babies, is a wonderful flock master, but has a tendency to like my boot. I've threatened to get rid of him, but I've found him to be tolerable, because of his good points, and only because it doesn't happen very often. Plus I don't have kids, or other considerations like that.

Many will say there is absolutely no place for any aggression, so I think it's a judgement call you have to make. Maybe work with him, give him a chance, and go from there?. :confused:

There are plenty more frizzles out there needing homes if he doesn't work out. (I think I have a beautiful 2-week old one right now)

Last hatch will be taken out of the incubator tonight. Again, with this being my first attempt at using an incubator, what is the best method to clean and disinfect after each use?

Thank you!

Last hatch will be taken out of the incubator tonight.   Again, with this being my first attempt at using an incubator, what is the best method to clean and disinfect after each use?

Thank you!

You're welcome. Let me know how it goes with whatever yall come up with.

I think there are some incubator disinfectants, and I've read several methods.

Personally, I wipe/scrub with those disinfectant wipes (like baby wipe things) or spray with fantastic or similar, then flush with plenty of water. Scrub brush if necessary. Hair dryer is good around fans when they get furry lol.

I have one last egg left from incubation and has pipped 24hrs ago and made a hole has not moved for another 24hrs so I broke a few pieces of shell out and when it eventually hatched its very shaky legs shaking and tiny bit of yolk can be seen is he going to be ok? Can I do anything in very concerning I wanted to give my other ducky a new companion as he accidentally killed his other friend from being so active and stepping all over him.... anyway he seems to have a tiny bit of yolk left which looks apart of his body should I let him incubate naturally and see what happens

I have one last egg left from incubation and has pipped 24hrs ago and made a hole has not moved for another 24hrs so I broke a few pieces of shell out and when it eventually hatched its very shaky legs shaking and tiny bit of yolk can be seen is he going to be ok? Can I do anything in very concerning I wanted to give my other ducky a new companion as he accidentally killed his other friend from being so active and stepping all over him.... anyway he seems to have a tiny bit of yolk left which looks apart of his body should I let him incubate naturally and see what happens

Give him a little time in the incubator, as long as there's nothing it can drag the yolk on, and make it worse. I line mine with that rubber shelf liner stuff, just in case any hatch like that.

Being a later hatch, those are usually weaker and just take a little extra time getting up to speed. Hopefully in a couple hours, he'll be moving around and you can check further.

Sorry about your duckling, it happens sometimes. Maybe they got cold and piled up?

Give him a little time in the incubator, as long as there's nothing it can drag the yolk on, and make it worse. I line mine with that rubber shelf liner stuff, just in case any hatch like that.

Being a later hatch, those are usually weaker and just take a little extra time getting up to speed. Hopefully in a couple hours, he'll be moving around and you can check further.

Sorry about your duckling, it happens sometimes. Maybe they got cold and piled up?
Yea mabye I'll keep a good eye on him it would be a shame if he didn't make it as he's a very beautiful ducky hope is all there is now

Back
Top Bottom