lockdown for guinea eggs?

hobby chick

Chirping
May 1, 2020
Hi everyone. I read that guineas incubation period is 28 days but a lot of experienced breeders are saying they tend to hatch around 25 -26 days. Not sure when to set for lockdown based on the differing info? I'm on day 23 now and wondering if it would hurt to take out the turner today?

Hi everyone. I read that guineas incubation period is 28 days but a lot of experienced breeders are saying they tend to hatch around 25 -26 days. Not sure when to set for lockdown based on the differing info? I'm on day 23 now and wondering if it would hurt to take out the turner today?
Guinea eggs can hatch from day 26 through day 28. Some people who have a slightly higher than normal incubator temperature have had them hatch earlier.

The eggs are far enough along in development that removing the turner earlier has no ill effects as the developing keet is moving sufficiently on its own to prevent problems.

I don't go to lockdown until day 25 but if you want to do so on day 23 it will not cause any problems.

At least one other person that I know does not go to lockdown until the eggs are internally pipped. It is a matter of choice.

Good luck.

Guinea eggs can hatch from day 26 through day 28. Some people who have a slightly higher than normal incubator temperature have had them hatch earlier.

The eggs are far enough along in development that removing the turner earlier has no ill effects as the developing keet is moving sufficiently on its own to prevent problems.

I don't go to lockdown until day 25 but if you want to do so on day 23 it will not cause any problems.

At least one other person that I know does not go to lockdown until the eggs are internally pipped. It is a matter of choice.

Good luck.
Thank you so much! :)

Back
Top Bottom