Lockdown on Jumbo Brown Coturnix Quail..Pictures pg4

Quote:
I really like the idea of having them upright, it's how I hatch my chicken eggs in egg cartons that is. I have some flats for quail eggs, they hold fifty eggs. I think that I would try a hatch in those. Maybe put them in every second hole and also carve a hole in the bottom so that the humidity can flow through. For a first quail hatch you sure did good
thumbsup.gif

I was told to have them upright but couldnt see how they would hatch in the turner cradle so put a small t-shirt all wrinkled up in the bator and put the eggs in the wrinkles. Having watched them hatch I will just take the turner egg holder out of the turner this time. I had NO idea they unzipped the eggs and just pop out
big_smile.png

Sorry, my DH moved the computer mother lode today, forgot the password to reset everything so its taken some time to get reset up. Anyway.

Yes, I opened all eggs last night, I lost 6 small eggs that were fully grown, but those eggs were small, I should not have hatched them and will not in the future. a good 15 were not fertile and that could also be my fault for being so impatient and not waiting. We picked the eggs up and I only waited 2 hours to set the eggs and start to incubate, meanwhile I had the incubator ready to go. I should have waited longer and allowed the eggs to settle first. Learn from my mistake.

Another 4 had started and died early in the cycle for whatever reason. Another 6 started and were almost full grown but were not quite finished. I imagine they died when I uped the humidity for lockdown, they just weren't ready yet.

When you receive your eggs, do like they say and waite the 24 hours. I didn't know that at the time, I do now. I was in a hurry to get these and get them incubated and out so I could get my S BC incubated by the 18th when my brooder house opens up again.

These quail are by special invitation invited to attend a birthday/family reunion the end of July and though they will be quite young all will be enjoyed. In the mean time they will enjoy the seeds of nature as well as some good feed, maybe even some good grubs. Some are by special invitation invited to breed at will and will be separated into breeding cages at my earliest convenience, once the said cages are made, that is.

Oh, now they're a day old and I have had some sleep, I find 4 of the goldens, the one is a little darker. I am amazed at how defined the stripes are on most that are striped, I thought Jumbo Brown's were more of a maze of colors, not defined stripes of color. Most are of a cinnamon or red stripes. Others are brown. I like them.

I like the tee shirt idea. I used a rubber shelf liner with small holes after I had some room beyond the trays. Otherwise at first their toes go down through the holes in the wire floor, though it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Edited to correct spelling, again.
We need a Spell Checker to automatically correct spelling, especially when our c tab sticks or we are into a hatch, or have celebrated a hatch with several glasses of wine.

Last edited:
Quote:
I cut a piece of screen wire left over from doing a window. It let the humidity through but they couldnt get their toes or legs stuck through the larger wire bottom. Seemed to work just fine, it even clipped onto the bottom wire with the clips attaching the larger wire to the water tray.

Like the idea of screen, I'll cut out a piece for the bator. I think I'll use that over the 1/2 x1/2 Hardware cloth on the grow out pen floor for the first few weeks. I know they will be going out at 2 weeks. I'll just cut two and change them out and hose um down. Thanks for the Idea. I was just out to the grow out pen trying to fit a roll of rubber matting for tool boxes but it was too narrow. DH says he's got some screen somewhere and he'll cut some to fit.

It's 95 degree's here, 75 degree at night. I take their temp down 2 degrees each day, its what i do with the chicks and so far they like it just fine, actually they gripe if its to hot. Raise the light and quiet down. They seem to want it cooler than recommended.

I did loose one this morning. It was the one from the largest egg that had a hard time getting out. It was darker than the others so was easy to track.

Went and picked up 100 # of starter for my eating machines, wondering if it will get them thru the month. For little marbles with mouths they sure can pack it in and ... it out. But love to watch them grow.

Quote:
Its 98f with a heat index of 108f today here and will only go down into the 80s tonight. My grow out pen needs some more shelter as I have been told they cant get wet for at least 7 weeks. If I can get it totally protected from rain my walking stomachs will be going out next week!

Need a melting smilie cause its HOT!!!

lol.png

Its 98f with a heat index of 108f today here and will only go down into the 80s tonight. My grow out pen needs some more shelter as I have been told they cant get wet for at least 7 weeks. If I can get it totally protected from rain my walking stomachs will be going out next week!

Need a melting smilie cause its HOT!!!

Yes it is. My grow out cage is hanging from the supports for the roofed area behind the garage. I can tarp the area off for a rain if I need to, but I think they have to waite another week yet. But ya as soon as I can get the temp down to 80 or equal to night time temps - out they go. Son is getting tired of moving them to the bathroom floor when He wants a shower. I said just leave them there, I;ll move a light over them or use our shower. No, its not a problem, then can't waite for them to be out. Meanwhile I set chicken eggs today, ha ha ha.
lol.png
Should have heard him, when he saw them in the incubator.

I have to come up with a better brooding place. I think DH is going to set up an outside brooder for me. I know people do brood them outside from day 1. But its so hot and humid, its miserable to try to work out there.​

Quote:
Yes it is. My grow out cage is hanging from the supports for the roofed area behind the garage. I can tarp the area off for a rain if I need to, but I think they have to waite another week yet. But ya as soon as I can get the temp down to 80 or equal to night time temps - out they go. Son is getting tired of moving them to the bathroom floor when He wants a shower. I said just leave them there, I;ll move a light over them or use our shower. No, its not a problem, then can't waite for them to be out. Meanwhile I set chicken eggs today, ha ha ha.
lol.png
Should have heard him, when he saw them in the incubator.

I have to come up with a better brooding place. I think DH is going to set up an outside brooder for me. I know people do brood them outside from day 1. But its so hot and humid, its miserable to try to work out there.

Yeh, its hot and humid out there! I do have a shed but its metal and about 10 degrees hotter inside than out.

Wish it would rain! The sky is black with clouds and flickering and rumbling with lightning and thunder but not a drop so far! I need to see how wet it gets inside the grow out pen I built.

Oh my, my immediate thought when I read about you needing it to rain....Run a hose off the roof over the pen, hook up a fan to blow the water toward the pen. Ya we need rain too, dark and billowy but no rain drops.

My neighbor came over to see the babies. Looking right at them asked where they were and why were my Buttercup babies so small, "What hapened, I thought you were breeding up, these are smaller". Then of course she had to pick up the smallest one. I had to make sure she put it back and didn't walk off with it. I said in one of my posts here that they look a lot like my S Buttercups when first hatched, but a lot smaller. She really thought I had messed up big in my project. I may have to hatch them together just for fun. Maybe my September hatch, I'll plan a combination hatch for the last ofthe breeder selection.

Quote:
My garden needs rain too! But my pen might be subject to flooding and I need to know sooner than later.

Lots and lots of thunderclouds but not a drop of rain here. Two miles away, inches fell but aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, narry a drop for my tomatoes!

Back
Top Bottom