007Sean

Face it, Embrace it, Ace it, Replace it
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Oct 25, 2015
South Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Here's an article I found on whether to refer to the last 3 days of the incubation process as "lockdown" or "hatching" and to whether lockdown should be eliminated from poultry jargon and dictionaries.

Personally, I have never liked that term to explain a part of the incubation process, it's still the hatching phase of the incubation process. I've stated this in some of my posts in the past but at the same time felt compled to use it because that seems to be what everyone else was using or could relate to because they had read that in other posts. I have no idea who first started using it but obviously they didn't understand the incubation process. I never heard the "old timers" use that term, only in the last 10 years or so have I been hearing or seeing the term used...Idk, what does everybody else think about this new or modern term for describing the hatching process.
http://copgba.com/service/lockdown/

Love the article! :clap
I despise the term “lockdown” along with “shrinkwrapped”.
Yeah, that's another term I personally don't like but have used it because if you don't nobody would understand what you were talking about. Although I do think "stuck" chick is an appropriate term to use for a chick that is trying to hatch and the humidity has been too high, and it can not turn inside the egg because there is too much liquid preventing it from turning.

Lockdown doesn't bother me, but I prefer hatching. I open the lid as needed, but usually not when there are external pips. The term I don't like, which sounds juvenile to me is "roo." There are cockerels/stags and roosters/cocks.
I agree

Ehhhh.....Lockdown is not the greatest term, maybe, but it does imply a major change especially when using an incubator, stop turning and increase humidity.
Even a hen sits tight to nest when chicks internally pip.

Shrink wrapped is just about what it can look like, I think it's appropriate if not exact.

Colloquialisms can be inaccurate as far as exact definition and over-analyzed.
They are slang words, short with a definition that only a small group of people might understand.

Back
Top Bottom