Locked In My Coop For 2 Hours.....

terry's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
Just finished the coop, my husband built it like Ft Knox and it was sure to keep predators out, but little did I know I would get locked in. I went in to sit and bond with the 3 week old babies, I shut the door and the lock fell down and when I went to leave ( This is after an eight hour day of working and still all the chores on the farm). I was locked in. There was no way out, so I sat there without a phone and waited for my husband who I never know when he will be home. Then I started to panic and think, did I leave anything on the stove cooking, I did leave a pony tied up for some patience training, and what if these red heat lamp bulbs explode and the building catches on fire, and I can't get out, well after 2 hours of thinking of everything bad that could happen and now it's been 2 hours of my evening gone, my husband pulls in. he starts to laugh, and the "teach me" the correct way to fix the lock when I go in so this doesn't happen again, Do you think I was in the mood for a "LESSON" I don't think so........ One more thing I'm learning as a "Newby"

lau.gif
hugs.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Over the almost 3 years I've been a member of this forum, this is NOT the first time I've read about this happening.

Be greatful you didn't try to crawl out through the pop door and get stuck......
gig.gif

So happy U survived to give me a Friday morning giggle.

(I imagine it will someday happen to me by accident)

Oh no! I on the other hand have considered putting a cot in my coop to sleep in, when I need an "escape" from my family!!!
lau.gif

Sorry that happened, but glad everything worked out OK!

Ohhhhh what an evening for you!! That must have been an incredibly long two hours! We are in the process of planning our coop design and this is the second story I have been told about being locked in the coop. I just told my husband about this last night as he is doing the construction so that whatever locking system he puts on the coop that I won't get locked in. Thank you for sharing and posting - quite possibly it will help other newbies to not let this happen to them.
roll.png

I have read this before so do not feel alone. Thank goodness you are alrighgt and nothing bad happened elsewhere on the farm.

I have spring hinges on my coop door. So after I take off the pad lock I put a board to hold it open. So I am in there and a chicken runs by and
makes the board fall to a position that wedges the board between the ground and the door. I was lucky I had a little finger space. Took me awhile
but I got out before the rest of the chickens ate me lol.

lau.gif
Thank goodness it wasn't in the morning. At least you know the girls wont get out.

Glad you got out alright and everything was okay.

Back
Top Bottom